PDA

View Full Version : Missing bolts trans to engine?? I'm baffled.

Subzilla
01-15-2013, 19:34
Got everything unhooked, removed and undone - ready to pluck the engine from the Sub. The engine is suffering from a broken crankshaft.

Decided it was time to remove the 6 bolts holding the transmission to the engine. The 3 bolts on the passenger side are gone! The 3 on the driver's side are in place with the lower bolt tight but the 2 upper ones are not tight at all. One of these appears to be broken and missing a third of the bolt. I probed the holes of the 3 missing bolts and it doesn't appear they have sheared off, I don't think.

As a refresher, when the crankshaft broke, I coasted to a stop but let the engine run for maybe 30 seconds trying to diagnose it. It was violently rocking the vehicle. This transmission was installed some 140k miles ago and I haven't touched the bolts since then.

Question: If the bolts vibrated out, could this have caused some misalignment with the crankshaft causing it to break? I can't imagine a minute of vibration after the crankshaft broke to cause the bolts to back out that quick.

john8662
01-15-2013, 22:39
The bolts really need some kind of thread locker on them. They're hard to get really that tight in the first place where they're at, but they can work their selves loose.

J