PDA

View Full Version : Anyone delt with XS Power out of NC?

JFerg65
01-13-2013, 12:41
Well....It looks like my turbo's seals are leaking like a sieve. So time for a new one. At 209,XXX I guess I can't complain all that much. Anyhow. As usual trying to do this one on a tight budget. Due to my time commitments, an attempt at rebuilding my self is out of the question. I saw this place on the net and was wondering if anyone here has heard anything good or bad about them.

Thanks

More Power
01-14-2013, 16:16
Where is your turbo leaking?

Jim

Kennedy
01-14-2013, 16:38
Turbos don't have "seals" so to speak it's more of a piston ring and typically unless the wheel rocks enough to contact the housing they will work just fine.

A good reman runs about $650 exchange and no question of the build quality.

More Power
01-15-2013, 10:03
The most likely leak site on one of these turbos is the oil drain pipe/hose. The leaks are usually fixed by simply tightening the related hose clamps. The rubber joining hoses take a "set" over time, which relaxes the clamping tension.

Just last week another member reported an oil leak that appeared to be originating at the joint between the aluminum compressor housing and the cast-iron center section. If that sounds like yours, read on:

The turbo's aluminum compressor housing is clamped against the cast-iron center section using bolts and metal tabs. This allows the compressor housing to be rotated for final alignment during assembly. The aluminum compressor housing is sealed against the cast-iron center section using a high-heat red-colored silicone gasket compound (a thin film), like that available from any auto parts store.

So, I recommend resealing the compressor housing. Mark (scribe) the alignment of the compressor housing to the center section, then remove it. Clean off the original red sealant, clean thoroughly with solvent, then apply a thin smear of red silicone sealant to the mating flange as the compressor housing is reinstalled. The sealant should be wet when the parts are mated. Don't use more sealant than you need. You don't want it oozing out inside the compressor housing.

The engine produces an oily mist in the crankcase gases as a normal consequence of running. These gases are recycled through the crankcase vent system and injected in the intake air upstream of the turbocharger. The turbo's compressor then compresses the intake air (some of which will be oil gases). Any leak site on the turbo compressor or intake manifold will show an oily buildup or possibly a drip over time.

I would not consider replacing the turbo just yet....
Jim

JohnC
01-15-2013, 20:20
Make sure the drain is unobstructed, too. If any pressure builds up in the turbo due to inability of the oil to drain out, it'll leak like crazy!

JFerg65
01-16-2013, 19:00
Well... I was able to tighten up the two bolts on the bottom where the return line mounts as well as the two hose clamps down the return line. We will see if that does the trick. I had the turbo off when I swapped out injectors and glow plugs late in the summer. Checked for play in the turbo and things seemed tight from what I could tell. Let's hope that his is the fix. Without pulling things apart it does appear the oil is coming from the bottom side of the turbo. If it is still leaking I'll pull it in order to get a better look at that gasket. Thanks for the input, stopped me from my worst casing scenarios, that tend to get me spooled up pretty quickly.