PDA

View Full Version : Extended life antifreeze

Beedee
02-05-2004, 01:46
Looking for a little help here!
I bought a used 98 4x4 silverado last aug. It has 90000 km on it (thats around 60000 for my american friends). I am a heavy duty mechanic, but I havent had very much to do with the PINK STUFF. I have read a few articles, but I'm still a little unsure about it. What kind of experiances have you guys had with it???
My buddies in the local rad shop where I have all my industrial work done really don't like it ( I think they are old school ;) )
Thanks

rjschoolcraft
02-05-2004, 03:54
Works great. Do a search. Lots of discussion a few months back. Also see Texaco/Havoline Dex-Cool Engine Coolant Facts (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/dexcool.htm) in the Members area for more information.

moondoggie
02-05-2004, 05:46
Good Day!

Ditto ronniejoe. Caveat: Don't ever let air get in the cooling system, it will corrode it. A mechanic told me that GM has a 60-step procedure to remove corrosion from cooling systems that were allowed to run low or had air trapped in them.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

James Schaack
02-05-2004, 08:43
guys,

i just replaced my radiator last night. how can i be sure i have all the air out of the system? also, i replaced the thermostat with a new Stant 195. i cleaned the housing surfaces and assembled with a new gasket. once i got the truck running again i had a small leak from the thermostat housing. should i have used a little RTV to help seal the gasket? what else could i try?

thanks! :D

James

MTTwister
02-05-2004, 08:47
Jim - before you button that up , you might want to search on Thermostats - there was discussion , somewhere, it might have been in archived volumes, that Thermostats other Than GM -( AC-Delco )- 6.5 diesel don't flow nearly as well, start openning too soon, etc.

Original OEM type product is actually best solution here.. May want to research it.

Beedee
02-05-2004, 11:41
Thanks for the help guys, you have basicly confirmed what I was thinking. I'm not sure what the rad guys big problem with it is. Next question, going by some of the literature, is it time for a flush and change or not????
Now according to the service sheets from the Diesel pages they have % DCA reading. I thought that you don't have to use DCA with longlife antifreeze?

ucdavis
02-05-2004, 19:31
James-
Brass air bleed screw is on the crossover between the heads at the nominal high point in the system. Run the engine @ idle to circulate any air to the high point & bleed it out, shut if off, bleed, shut off... till you get no air.

Beedee
02-06-2004, 01:01
oops, need to proof read better.
should read % DCA.

C.K. Piquup
02-07-2004, 04:07
I just flushed the Dex-cool out of my`99ZR2,replaced it with good ol` Prestone green.We haven`t had good heat since about 60,000mi.It now has 93,000.The Dex-cool had it all stopped up.Never had the old stuff do that.If it`s good for 120,000mi.This should not happen at 1/2 that.It builds-up a hard orange crust.Seen it?My mechanic doesn`t like it,I think I agree.That`s my experience with it.Never had problems w/old type.

rjschoolcraft
02-07-2004, 08:17
You have to keep the air out of it.

Marty Lau
02-11-2004, 09:09
Originally posted by C.K. Piquup:
I just flushed the Dex-cool out of my`99ZR2,replaced it with good ol` Prestone green.We haven`t had good heat since about 60,000mi.It now has 93,000.The Dex-cool had it all stopped up.Never had the old stuff do that.If it`s good for 120,000mi.This should not happen at 1/2 that.It builds-up a hard orange crust.Seen it?My mechanic doesn`t like it,I think I agree.That`s my experience with it.Never had problems w/old type. Don't you think there is a REASON GM uses Dexa-cool in these trucks?

cruzer
02-11-2004, 11:12
Use distilled water. Dont mix green and pink.
There too many impurities in tap water. My 0.02cts

Beedee
02-11-2004, 14:19
My boss at work mixed the green with some pink one time, it turned into a really thick, snotty mess, kinda like jello before it sets, then he got one of us to flush it out. That was his first encouter with the pink stuff. The old $@#^$% should retire. ;)