PDA

View Full Version : engine swap advice

Subzilla
12-21-2012, 20:03
I'm getting ready to remove the broken crankshaft engine from the Sub and put in a spare rebuilt engine. I'm trying to make decisions on what external parts might need to be replaced while the engine is out and access is easy. So I'm seeking advice on replacing these parts.

High flow water pump from Peninsular Diesel with 120k miles. No leaks or play.

Power steering pump - 160k miles.

Injector pump - 110k miles

Injectors - 75k miles

DmaxMaverick
12-21-2012, 20:22
120K water pump, questionable.

75K injectors, highly questionable.

120K injection pump, questionable.

160K PS pump, questionable.

None of the above are close to ideal, and probably nearing their reasonably expected lifespan. Any of these when replaced, should be replaced with new or reman. Anything less is a roll of the dice.

Robyn
12-22-2012, 09:07
X2
Plus anything else thats far easier to get to with the engine out.

How many miles on the radiator ??? these are marginal when new.

Visteon makes a great OEM quality replacement.

Missy

Subzilla
12-22-2012, 18:53
Ya'll confirmed my thoughts. Just trying to save some bucks but I know what I should do.

Radiator is probably 14 years old with 180k miles. I had already planned to at least have the local radiator shop rod/clean it - if they still do that sort of thing! It doesn't leak and looks fairly good peaking in the opening.

Probably will also have the starter rebuilt. This starter has been in since I bought the thing some 16 years/210k miles ago and hasn't hiccuped one bit.

Yup, I want to do everything I can while it's on the stand.

Thanks!

More Power
01-22-2013, 10:45
High flow water pump from Peninsular Diesel with 120k miles. No leaks or play.

Power steering pump - 160k miles.

Injector pump - 110k miles

Injectors - 75k miles

Nothing here that isn't fairly easy to replace with the engine in the vehicle. If the performance of the above listed parts is normal/good, I'd be tempted to run them. Jim