PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer- stuck above 100!

LJ
12-21-2012, 14:52
The speedometer on my 2005 Chev Silverado K2500 Crew Cab Duramax is stuck. Over the past 6 months, it would occasionally read too high, but always eventually came down and worked fine for a while. Seemed to be worse in cold weather. Now, for the past 2 weeks, it's been pegged and won't budge backwards.

Is it a sending unit, or something else?

Big Green
12-21-2012, 20:52
Common problem on a lot of new cars/trucks. There are servo motors on the back of the instrument cluster that go bad.

Big Green

DmaxMaverick
12-21-2012, 21:35
Check with your dealer. The IPC recall may cover it.

OIL BURN
12-23-2012, 06:20
I had the same problem when I would disconnect the battery to change an oxygen sensor or check and clean other connectors. I would disconnect the negative terminal just as a precaution wrether it was neccessary or not. What I notice was My speedometer would be pegged like yours all the way to 100 mph or a little past that after reconnection of negative terminal. When I drove the vehicle getting up to speed,all of a sudden "snap" sound and needle would fly back to zero ,bounce a few times then register correctly,no problems until I had to disconnect the battery again.

At this peticular time of this event I also was having problems with the ABS control module mounted above the hydraulic motor unit bolted to the frame on drivers side. The ABS light would come on some times and then not,more noticable in hot wreather than cold and when braking and a slight wheel skid the ABS unit would activate then stop and ABS lite would come on again. I've read in the manual that the ABS control module is interconnected with the electronic speedometer senser located in the transmission tailshaft housing,so it may be that the ABS controller having faults occuring at times,when reconnecting the negative battery terminal,was surging voltage to the speedometer causing it to peg past 100 mph.

The manual also stated that the ABS module receives its signals from the speedometer sensor during a rear wheel braking/skid event to activate the unit,this method is used when both rear wheels do not have their own seperate skid sensing units, which are simply voltage generating magnet/coil assemblies.

Now the point of all this is that I bought a remanufactured ABS controller unit from a company in MOSCOW,UTAH,thats right,USA. I'llpost the name of the company when I find the invoice, The units have all the faulty componets replaced with upgraded ones and are throughly tested. I replaced mine on a 2000 sierra 1500, easy to do under vehicle,and had no MORE problems with speedometer pegging.The reman unit works flauwlessly and total cost was around $200.00 as compared to the dealer quoting me $875.00 for the unit only!

I can't say that this will solve your problem,but clean the connections on the speedo sensor and ABS connector and any connectors in between and be patient, I know it can be frustrating,it took me two years to figure this speedometer pegging problem out.It may be that you need only to replace the speedometer sensing unit in the tranny,if it is located there. Your manual should indicate this.Any comments or corrections are welcome.

GOOD LUCK

OIL BURN

GM Customer Service
12-24-2012, 06:52
The speedometer on my 2005 Chev Silverado K2500 Crew Cab Duramax is stuck. Over the past 6 months, it would occasionally read too high, but always eventually came down and worked fine for a while. Seemed to be worse in cold weather. Now, for the past 2 weeks, it's been pegged and won't budge backwards.

Is it a sending unit, or something else?

Have you tried getting this diagnosed by a dealership? They should be able to pinpoint the issue.

Brandon
GM Customer Service

Heartbeat Hauler
12-30-2012, 12:37
Dude! Just let off!! :D

Seriously though, my brother's 2500 did this and it was a servo in the cluster that was replaced.

Big Green
12-31-2012, 04:35
Have you tried getting this diagnosed by a dealership? They should be able to pinpoint the issue.

Brandon
GM Customer Service

Biggest problem I've seen with this repair at the local dealerships is the cost. Someone I work with had his repaired (actually told the cluster couldn't be repaired and had to be replaced) at a cost well north of $1k.

Part of the reason a lot of folks don't trust them.

As a lot of us know the cluster can be repaired with new servos and it's not all that difficult or time consuming.

Big Green

GM Customer Service
12-31-2012, 06:27
Biggest problem I've seen with this repair at the local dealerships is the cost. Someone I work with had his repaired (actually told the cluster couldn't be repaired and had to be replaced) at a cost well north of $1k.

Part of the reason a lot of folks don't trust them.

As a lot of us know the cluster can be repaired with new servos and it's not all that difficult or time consuming.

Big Green

Ok. Great! Thank you for the heads up. I can understand the cost of this may be pricey, however, the loyalty and the warranty behind the work is what some people like to experience too.

Brandon
GM Customer Service

Roy W
12-31-2012, 06:31
The dealership replaced mine under a TSB silent recall, although if the vehicle had over 70,000 miles you had to pay the labor, the panel was at no cost. Under 70K no charge at all. The dealer called it part of a "good will" program.