PDA

View Full Version : Quick Heats, need longer duration?

AKMark
12-18-2012, 12:50
Hey,

I have a 99 Suburban with a 6.5 that I believe was running 11G's. I will confirm this later.

With the 11G's the stock glow duration was enough for this thing to start in -50 temps when the block heater was plugged in as well as the other winterization parts.

I upgraded to Quick Heats as after 3 years I had 2 or 3 of the 11G's fail. All 8 are working, however the stock duration of 9 seconds doesn't seem to cut it at -50. I do have a manual trigger so I can add time as wanted/needed, and if I add another 5 seconds it works great.

I have a buddy with a 95 6.5 that's got the same issue, but he doesn't have a manual trigger, plus he had two glow plugs that the hex part of the plug broke off from the threaded portion, so he's only got 6 functioning of the 8. Cylinders 3 and 8, and we haven't had any luck trying to get these suckers out. At least they are sealed so no air is bypassing during operation. It's bad we know, but the guy has had about the worst luck of anyone with his vehicles this year and needs this truck to start. Which it does, when it's above 0. He hates having to press extra buttons to start his truck...Otherwise I'd add a manual trigger for him as well.

Anybody else experience this type of issue? Or is it just us Arctic nuts?

DennisG01
12-18-2012, 13:15
Mark, which issue are you referring to - broken plugs or hard starting?

Assuming hard starting... have you tried disconnecting the coolant temp sensor (near the t-stat)? Doing so would give max glow time - curious if it's longer than what you're seeing now.

Where did you get the quick heats from and how recently have you tested them (and how)?

"-50*"... is that actual temp or wind chill?

DmaxMaverick
12-18-2012, 13:19
9 seconds should be more than enough to get them up to full heat. Typically, for a "true" Quick Heat plug, they'll get there in 5-6 seconds. What you describe sounds more like what's typical for AC60G plugs. I suggest contacting your supplier and verify you actually have "Quick Heat" plugs.

On the OBD II trucks, the glow plug cycle can be extended with programming (Tech II). Earlier vehicles require a bit more, but it isn't too complicated.

In the meanwhile, your friend with the issue can double-stroke the key. Turn on until the WTS lamp goes out, then cycle the key again for a second glow cycle, start. If it starts, having only 6 plugs won't hurt anything, although it may be a bit smoky for a few seconds while the 2 plugless cylinders gather some heat.

AKMark
12-18-2012, 14:49
I have verified in the Suburban that all 8 of the Quick Heats are functioning properly.

The broken ones were old 11G's. That on the 99, have been removed. There's 2 broken/stuck ones on my buddies 95.

We see temps into the -60 realm in the winter. Last winter, my 99 started right up no sweat with the extra products I have added for the extreme temps. Luckily we don't see much if any wind around here.

The extras include,
1. Block heater
2. A battery warmer for each battery
3. A warming pad that is attached to the oil pan
4. A warming pad that is attached to the transmission pad

With these items, she fired right up. Now she still fires up but needs 15 seconds of glow duration to do so. Before 2 of my 11G's failed, it did not need more than the stock duration. I have counted and I'm getting max duration.

My buddy's 95, I'm not sure he's getting full duration, but I will check. He is having the same problem as I am though. Give it more time, and it works....

Both of us got our Quick Heats from Kennedy.

Yukon6.2
12-18-2012, 20:59
Hi all
I just spent the day out delivering fuel,-40C today same as 40 belowF.
But the sun was shining,it's been hiding for a week or so it was nice to have the sunshine.Even if it was only for a few hrs.
The Kenworth started right up,with only 1 plug in and synthetic oil.Everything takes a little longer when it's cold.Hope the 50 below stays in Alaska
Thomas

Kennedy
12-18-2012, 21:04
I extend the glow duration in my chips/tuning. At one time this was exclusive, but I'd assume others have followed suit. At any rate this is an absolute necessity with an 18:1 engine and if yours does not start clean at std compression and with my tuning there is something wrong.

AKMark
12-19-2012, 17:00
Don't have your tuning on either.

The 99 has always liked more glow duration. Now that I think about it, I disconnected the temp sensor on that one not this summer but last year because when the glow plug controller ran short durations in the summer it would struggle to start.

Runs like a champ once she's going though...

Gonna try to thaw the buddies truck out tonight again.

DennisG01
12-19-2012, 19:19
The 99 has always liked more glow duration. Now that I think about it, I disconnected the temp sensor on that one not this summer but last year because when the glow plug controller ran short durations in the summer it would struggle to start.

Runs like a champ once she's going though...

Something's definitely not right with the glow system - especially if you had problems in the summer.

When was the last time you verified that all glow plugs are heating up and how did you do it?

AKMark
12-20-2012, 10:25
1 week ago.

When I disconnected the temp sensor 18 months ago, all 8 were working.

The body has 127K miles on it. Motor unknown. This was a truck owned originally by a company that drills for oil on the northern slope of Alaska. They are known for letting vehicles idle ALOT. My 05 is also a north slope rig. It at least has an hour meter. The 05 has 92K miles, however it has 12K hours. Most non slope vehicles I see with at or near 100K miles have closer to 2K hours.

Like I said, it runs like a champ once it's going. Get's 19 mpg empty with 33" tires and 4.10 gears. But even after it's been running awhile, likes a little glow duration to get started.

DennisG01
12-20-2012, 11:18
Even when my truck was standard compression, it still liked a little glow in the summer heat. Not much, but still a little bit.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but how have you verified that the glow plugs are good? Some tests aren't very definitive and only give "general" results. It really sounds like you have either at least one bad (or partially bad) plug or maybe you're not getting 12v to the plug?

In regards to hours vs miles, and just for a comparison, one of trucks at the marina had, at 33,000 miles, 1,100 hours.

AKMark
12-20-2012, 14:34
I pulled the glow plugs, they were good. Tested and confirmed. When I say they are good, I've pulled them and tested them.... let the horse die. :D

My 6.5 just likes a bit of glow time. I almost wonder if that north slope company once used either. I never have, nor did my best friend who got it when it had 95K miles on it. But if the precups are cracked, that might explain the need for a little more time to get her going, but runs fine once going.

DennisG01
12-20-2012, 16:49
I pulled the glow plugs, they were good. Tested and confirmed. When I say they are good, I've pulled them and tested them.... let the horse die. :D

We can only go by what you actually write - if we "assume" that when someone simply writes "I tested them" that they were tested properly, we could be doing a disservice by not finding out "how". For example, if you had only used a test light, then you may have some plugs that test good, but aren't really heating up they way they should. So, maybe I was pushing a bit to find out - but it was only in an effort to try and help.

AKMark
12-21-2012, 16:38
I hear you. Attitude does not transmit well through a keyboard. Hence the smiley.

Thanks for checking.

phantom309
12-21-2012, 20:19
I hear you. Attitude does not transmit well through a keyboard. Hence the smiley.

Thanks for checking.
So share with us how you checked 'em,..;)

your buddy's 95, use a mig and blob on the end of the plug,let it cool repeat as necessary, build it up enough to grab with grips,.
run the motor till she's up to temp,. then screw the stub out,.just like threading a tap tho,. turn 1/2, back up a 1/4, turn a 1/2, back up a 1/4, etc,. clean the threads as it comes out,.

WFM
YRMV
NWEOI
PDCC

Nick

AKMark
12-26-2012, 10:23
Removed glow plug, left terminal connected, added a gator clip to the body of the plug for ground. Manually cycled glow plugs, each one heated up in the same amount of time.