PDA

View Full Version : 2 cold morning starts, 2 misses??

coxfmly
12-10-2012, 17:48
Hello,
For 2 days in a row my sub "missed" 1 time after it was started? Seemed to run a bit rough for a few minutes until it warmed up a bit. subsequent starts throughout the day were fine.

I just started it cold after work and it was fine. Not that I wanted a repeat but it might have something to do with the temperature. mornings in the low 50's, afternoon in the mid 70's . My sub really doesn't like to start in colder weather, not that So Cal ever has cold temps :)

PMD new, fuel filter new, lift pump is a yr old, glow plugs were changed around 25K miles ago. Cant recall the type of glow plugs but i was told they were an upgrade over stock. The glow plug light doesn't stay on but for a few seconds? I have notice when its cold, the light cycles for a brief second after it starts.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Paul

DennisG01
12-10-2012, 18:15
Sounds like you're due for glow plugs. After work, there still may have been enough residual heat in the block, coupled with the temps rising through the day, to start fine.

You can test them. Have you seen the threads on this? Using an ohm meter or a battery test light.

You can also double check that you have power to the plugs.

The colder it is, the more the light will cycle after it starts.

Kennedy
12-10-2012, 18:57
I would agree with Dennis. Sounds like one or more plugs may be bad. Given that you don't know what plugs are installed you might consider doing a full set.