PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure Monitor

royalglen
12-04-2012, 19:29
How can i tell if i have sensors in the tires for tire pressure monitor. I bought a set of 20" take-offs for my 2011 Chev 2500 and the wheels and tires look identical to originals and should have sensors on them but i don't know how to check.

DmaxMaverick
12-04-2012, 20:26
The OEM tire pressure monitor doesn't use sensors "in" the tires/wheels. Wheel speed and other sensor data is monitored by the computer, which will detect a low tire using the several parameters. Aftermarket tires/wheel size is OK with the monitor, although it may be more or less sensitive to pressure change.

a5150nut
12-04-2012, 20:55
Can you put your console in "learn mode" and see them?

royalglen
12-06-2012, 17:37
I don't think it is seeing the new wheels!!!! The Manual is confusing as to what the procedure is for flashing them. I have a ATEQ VT-15 tool and can't get it to work on them.

Kennedy
12-07-2012, 14:53
Just went through this on my 2012 GMC. Looks like I don't have the hardware nor do I have the DIC section so apparently the 1 tons don't get this

The sensors are in the valve stems if you have them. The sensor stems will have a tapered section of the brass where it meets the rubber under the cap. The std stem has the brass at a constant diameter with brass just up to the rubber.

Yukon6.2
12-07-2012, 20:29
Just buy a good tire gauge
The valve stems are expencive,some tire jocky will wreck one and not tell you,$$$ wasted.
What is it with all the computerized stuff the manufactor's pawn off on people??It all costs extra when you buy the truck and in the end will let you down.Is keeping air in tires really such big deal that you are willing to spend thousands of dollars for some computer to tell you when your tires are flat:rolleyes:
Come on,learn to look after your truck yourself.It's really not that hard to check the air in your tires.There are other things you can look at when your checking the air,and you might actually see a potential problem if you are doing the maintnece.
I really can't belive the crap that comes on new trucks.
Thomas

DmaxMaverick
12-07-2012, 22:29
Just went through this on my 2012 GMC. Looks like I don't have the hardware nor do I have the DIC section so apparently the 1 tons don't get this

The sensors are in the valve stems if you have them. The sensor stems will have a tapered section of the brass where it meets the rubber under the cap. The std stem has the brass at a constant diameter with brass just up to the rubber.

I wasn't aware the HD trucks had and option with the stem sensors. I know the LD's (and cars) have that option. Previous models with the option use an algorithmic formula for estimating a "low" tire pressure, compared to the sensor models, which relay actual tire pressure.

The sensors are easily damaged unless care is used during a tire change, and they are costly ($50 each, dealer price). If you opt for an aftermarket or used sensor, keep in mind there are about 8 different models, unique to the vehicle type and year model. Repair kits are also available for a fraction of the new cost.

royalglen
12-09-2012, 15:10
You mention "repair kit" --what is that???

DmaxMaverick
12-09-2012, 20:23
You mention "repair kit" --what is that???

That's what you use when the tire shop jacks up your sensors. It includes the parts "normally" damaged when you get your tires changed (unusual, I know, but someone was thinking ahead). If you have the stem sensors, and don't tell the tire changer, chances are they get sheared off when they break the bead. If you have the "nut retained" type, it's best to remove the outer nut, and poke the stem in. The sensor will stay inside the tire (away from the rim/bead), and avoid the damage. They are durable, but no match for pneumatic machinery.

royalglen
12-10-2012, 11:44
Thanks --It has been helpful

Kennedy
12-10-2012, 12:13
Just buy a good tire gauge
The valve stems are expencive,some tire jocky will wreck one and not tell you,$$$ wasted.
What is it with all the computerized stuff the manufactor's pawn off on people??It all costs extra when you buy the truck and in the end will let you down.Is keeping air in tires really such big deal that you are willing to spend thousands of dollars for some computer to tell you when your tires are flat:rolleyes:
Come on,learn to look after your truck yourself.It's really not that hard to check the air in your tires.There are other things you can look at when your checking the air,and you might actually see a potential problem if you are doing the maintnece.
I really can't belive the crap that comes on new trucks.
Thomas

Wish I had monitors on my trailer tires. I lost one once. Got to the cabin and it was toast. With the tractor on the tandem trailer I never suspected a thing.

With teh trucks teh issue is that the system comes standard on most. There's really no reason for the stems to go bad in daily use. Problem is if you don't keep up it nags. If the wheels are rotated the system should be updated. I kind of like the idea of the system, but think it should have some wider parameters with user programmability.