PDA

View Full Version : DS4 input

Barry Nave
02-04-2004, 17:10
The codes that I am having are related to CLY. in balance,91&93. This has me to believe that this is only during a cold start,when engine is up to temp. that truck runs fine. I believe i have a stepper moter malfunctioning,why?
Only on cold starts the stepper motor does not advance,yet all of the sudden the engine will advance to a point that it sounds like a DI injected engine. Now I could also have a optical sensor going bad. Though I am leaning towards the stepper motor. My thought is during cold starts I do not have the cold start advance. Then with in a couple of secs. the CK engine light will come on and then the timing over advanced. By recycling the key several times and getting the engine up to temp. the CK light will go out. Today a hard performance test in drive only w/ engine up to operating temp.,boost 12 PSI,3K RPM's,CK light came on and then extreme rattle back off pedal, CK light went off, back into power,not fully,ran fine :confused:
Fuel system good, no air, Filter changed, no change

[ 02-04-2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Bnave95 ]

lafrance
02-04-2004, 18:58
Hi,
I had a brand new DS4 installed by the dealer,that did this out of the box.On cold starts timing was being incredibly over advanced with a resulting hard start cold only.Engine rattled horrendously for 3 seconds then smoothed out. This condition was viewed with a tech 2 and was readable. Fix--- Another Pump.
Hope this helps,
Evan Miller

charliepeterson
02-04-2004, 19:43
Try clearing all codes and unplug coolant temp. switch when cold and listen for the cold advance. Are the GP's working?

The ECM might be acting strange because of miss information from differant sensors when it's warming up. Double check lift pump operation and all ground wires. The cyl. imbalance codes hopefully are just a fuel delivery issue and not IP issues.

Barry Nave
02-05-2004, 15:42
It's getting worse guy's :mad:
I'm still losing coolent.
All my code's maybe that I have a head gasket or head problem on #1 and #3 cyl.
Glow plug's OK Elect OK, Clear code's yet I'm getting different code's now.
Lead me in to how to be sure or not that I have a head problem.
Starting is a bear now when cool,though when warm it run's OK though under full power GK light comes on and Eng. rattles bad

whatnot
02-05-2004, 17:02
When I had one of the Cyl. balance codes (for #4 I think) I called the largest diesel shop in the area. They said that those codes are almost never a pump problem.
Mine turned out to be loose injector lines. I would think an injector sticking open would cause the same thing to happen.

If you pull the water crossover and the belt then start the engine, you will know if you have a bad head gasket(s). Mine gushed coolant out about a foot at idle from both sides when mine were blown.

charliepeterson
02-05-2004, 19:28
All my code's maybe that I have a head gasket or head problem on #1 and #3 cyl.

Pull the glow plugs out of these holes and inspect for damage. If the top radiator hose gets hard before the thermostat opens then you confirmed the head gasket issue. Look at the oil level on the dip stick too.

I would do both heads sooner than later.

Good Luck

Barry Nave
02-06-2004, 15:13
To thoughs who has followed this, thanks for all the Info. I'll now rule out the head gasket.
Each Morning I'll clear codes. This is the ball game-- 19 36 84 99 Each time I clear codes these codes will set each time. Its the pump, what do you think?

ucdavis
02-06-2004, 20:14
I had 36, 84 & 99 associated w/an IP going out; it wasn't long B4 it was totally undrivable.
But, I don't recall getting 19 (crank position reference error). I can see the PCM messing w/timing if it thought the engine was in a different position vs. the angle of the IP. I think the crank position sensor is a cheap part & easy to R&R; might try that B4 major surgery.
Also, if it was me, I'd put the rig on a scantool (Tech 1 or 2, Vetronix Mastertech, OTC Genysis, or Snap-On) and check the specs on start-up/idle B4 surgery; probably cost about $100. Most shops have a qualifying scanner whether they do diesel or not.

Barry Nave
02-10-2004, 03:51
Up date, code 19 bugs me the most.
With the DSG, could the rector gear have moved on the crank? May be just the pick up going bad?
Rattles bad when cold yet after a couple of restarts runs fine. High power still falls of and rattles till I let off.
I do have the peddle code, now and then so I'm resetting codes day to day to see what comes up.

eracers999
02-10-2004, 07:00
Hi;
Try this.
Disconnect the battery to clear the codes.
This will acomplish 2 things.
1. It will make the pcm relearn its drivability.
2. It will dump the RAM, just like any computer can become confused when its loaded up with junk.

Make absolutly certain your ground loop is good.
Cab to eng, frame to eng, eng to batt, fender ground to batt. FSD ground at pump, and the harness connections.
I use the braided ground straps for big trucks.
Bad grounds have thrown even the most talented for some big time loops.
Best of luck.
Kent

gmctd
02-10-2004, 09:34
Try re-establishing all the connections around the Inj Pump - FSD, Opto, Adv Stepper, Fuel Shutoff - from the FSD upgrade.
Same for the Crank Pos Sensor.
If that doesn't do it, try replacing the CPS - it may have taken a hit during the DSG install.

Barry Nave
02-10-2004, 13:48
gmtdc
Thanks,As of now I only have code 19

Barry Nave
02-10-2004, 13:57
As a history,
Code 19,36,84,99
This is what the DP is for.
Take the time to diagnosed and save ;)
I'll get this worked out.
Get to the source ;)

Barry Nave
02-10-2004, 13:59
gmtdc
The DSG has been 3 years

Barry Nave
02-10-2004, 14:01
Kent
I do this day by day, now it's just 19

eracers999
02-10-2004, 22:37
Cool, sounds like you got a handle on it.

Barry Nave
02-11-2004, 17:08
Thanks guys
Truck went into a diesel shop in the farm lands of Indiana. Have worked on a lot of 6.5 farm trucks.
Will see what they come up with.

[ 02-16-2004, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: Bnave95 ]