PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 won't start

TODD-L
11-25-2012, 16:09
First off what a awesome site I found by accident while trying to get ideas on what is wrong with my 6.5. My 95 6.5 turbo quit the other day. I was idling along and it did a slight rev and died. The first thing I checked was the PMD it was not hot like the last time it gave out. I then checked the lift pump and it was extremely hot. I put a new lift pump on and nothing and now the glow plug lite won't come on. I put a new glow plug controller on and still nothing. There is power to one side but not the other even with the key on. So what do I check next? I don't have a code reader to pin point the problem. I did put a new relay on for the lift pump too. Any help would be great thanks.

JohnC
11-25-2012, 19:58
Check the stalling thread here (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=2938).

No code reader required for '95 trucks, just a paper clip. Search the forums for the procedure. Also, you can test the lift pump by putting the shifter in drive and turning the key to start. ('95 only!)

TODD-L
11-25-2012, 20:16
Thanks for the response. I tried the nuetrel thing and still nothing from the lift pump. I have been looking more on this site. Lots of great info.

DmaxMaverick
11-25-2012, 22:44
Thanks for the response. I tried the nuetrel thing and still nothing from the lift pump. I have been looking more on this site. Lots of great info.

The selector has to be in ANY range, other than P or N. This will allow all the electronics/electrics to work, except the starter. If the lift pump is working during the crank cycle, it will work if cranking (trying) with the selector in all but P or N. If in Neutral, it will crank and try to start, like in Park. Be sure to set the E-brake.

TODD-L
11-28-2012, 19:39
Well I have replaced the glowplug controller and the lift pump and lift pump relay and still nothing. I have cleaned and checked wires and nothing. I have put it in drive aand tried to crank as stated and the lift pump won't run. The glow plug lite won't come on and no power to the other side of the controller. Fuses are good. Could this be the ignition switch or the computer behind the glovebox. I really need this pickup and any thoughts would be great where to look next. THANKS

DmaxMaverick
11-28-2012, 20:44
The ignition switch is the most likely suspect. The ECM is least likely.

TODD-L
11-28-2012, 21:46
Thanks I'll try a new one and see what happens.

DmaxMaverick
11-28-2012, 22:22
The "slight rev and died" would concern me. It could be indicative of a lift pump power loss, but only if it has an air leak or the IP is heading south (unable to draw fuel, which it will under normal conditions). The slight rev may indicate a slug of air, before shutting down (retards timing, skews pressure, then quits). You may notice this after a filter change, until all the air is purged. If power to the IP was lost, it would just quit, no "rev".

Suggesting the ignition switch is an educated guess, based on known symptoms and common failure. I wish I could offer a better guarantee, but discussion forum diagnosis doesn't often allow for it.

TODD-L
11-29-2012, 06:04
I know that diagnosing is tough on a forum or the phone. I do appreciate all of your help I'm just tring to save some money rather than take it to town to get worked on. Electrical problems are a nightmare.

TODD-L
12-02-2012, 17:42
Finally got it. New oil pressure switch and it runs. Thanks for the help guys.