PDA

View Full Version : goes to idle

Ricktinfwb
11-23-2012, 09:57
I'm starting to encounter a problem of the engine going from normal running to dropping to idle; stays running, but does not respond to accelerator input; after hitting the pedal a few times, it does act normally. I've cleaned all accessable cannon plugs, which seems to help, but the problem comes back in a week or so. maybe the 'apps' solenoid?

DmaxMaverick
11-23-2012, 10:07
There is no "apps solenoid". The throttle is controlled by the APP sensor (Accelerator Pedal Position sensor), the electronic go pedal. If it has failed, or is failing, the STS lamp (Service Throttle Soon) will come on. It doesn't sound like that's the problem, by your description, unless the STS lamp is on.

This, along with your other problem, is likely a ground issue, chafed/broken wire, ECM connection, ECM, or ignition switch. If you've never replaced the ignition switch, it is the common suspect, assuming the rest of the electrical is healthy. Are there any DTC's in history?

rapidoxidationman
11-23-2012, 11:58
Back when I had my '96 6.5 it would show me this problem sometimes, only when it was cold IIRC. No codes ever were set. I never took the time to troubleshoot because it so seldom happened and could be "fixed" by turning the ignition all the way off and restarting.

Kinda goes with what DMax says about the ignition switch...