PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Turbo charger on a 6.2

haffib
11-21-2012, 23:28
Greetings fellow Diesel dudes!

What can I expect in increase of hp and torque by putting a 6.5 turbo charger on a 6.2 '80's engine and what kind of problems could i expect to encounter during this transformation?
Thanks

DmaxMaverick
11-22-2012, 00:24
If you can fit it in the engine compartment, expect 40-50% power/torque increase.

JohnC
11-22-2012, 18:25
If you can fit it in the engine compartment

The placement of the 6.5 turbo and the 80's air conditioner evaporator overlap.

csa dad
11-28-2012, 08:25
So what do you do about the ac box

DmaxMaverick
11-28-2012, 09:30
So what do you do about the ac box

Relocate it, or relocate the turbo. I replied to your thread in the conversion forum.

csa dad
11-28-2012, 09:37
Thanks anyone with some pics of this done

More Power
11-28-2012, 11:05
Interference with the A/C housing can be solved. However, when mounted on a factory 6.5 exhaust manifold, the exhaust outlet on a GM-x series turbocharger points straight down at the frame rail in an 80's pickup truck. Those who have done it created a dog-legged downpipe that jumps either inside or outside the frame rail. It's not a pretty solution. Those same people all say they wouldn't do it again.

A much better solution is the Banks 6.2 exhaust manifold, which positions the turbo in a much more convenient location.

A good way to explain how a turbo improves 6.2L performance is to say you'll have the power in 3rd gear that you had in 2nd before.

Jim

Robyn
11-29-2012, 07:28
I agree with Jim, scare up a Banks setup.

These can be found on ebay and at time on Craigs list.

The Banks kit is neat and sanitary and will solve the clearance issue without having to deal with all the fuss.

Missy

mrwilecoyote
01-05-2013, 07:44
You don't have a signature unless I missed it. What kind of truck are you considering doing this too ? That makes a huge difference. If it's an 88 GMT400 it's pretty bolt on. If it's an old square body that gets more interesting. It's not impossible but does require fabrication. I would do it again now that I worked out all the bugs the first time around but as said the main issue is whether you have a\c or not. I have seen people modify an S10 a/c box to clear the turbo. I did not hav a/c so it wa not an issue but I had to relocate my battery(CUCV both batts on pass side). Exhaust was no big deal for me but my truck is lifted. No sure what issues a stock hieght would have. I can tell you mine runs as good as any 6.5. It's got tons of power now and unlike the 6.5s of the past I had, it does not run hot at all so far. Even towing. The Squarebodys have alot better airflow .