PDA

View Full Version : code 0216

atmdoc
11-17-2012, 07:41
I'm getting a code 0216. in the past week I got it 3 times. First time I got it I took it to the shop that replaced the IP last March. All he did was put the scan tool on it got the code and cleared it. Anyone got an idea what might be going on? Is it somethiing that me stranded on teh side of the road? Thanks in advance.

Robyn
11-17-2012, 08:39
0216 is "Ijection timing control circuit"

My suggestion is to get the TDC OFFSET checked and see where its at.

Possibly the Timing stepper motor is having issues.

There is also a possibility of a bad electrical connection at the stepper motor plug.

The stepper motor is on the RH side of the IP (LOOKING FROM THE DRIVERS SEAT)

If you can unplug the connector, spray it with contact cleaner and reconnect.

The other possibility is that the physical positioning of the IP is off enough that the stepper can't adjust the timing to the desired reading.

Checking the timing with a scan tool to see where the reading is vs the desired reading.
If the IP is slightly too far one way or the other, then the stepper can't adjust the timing to the desired reading.

Some mechanics believe that the entire process is all handled with the ECM, but the IP has to be located so the stepper has enough travel to reach the sweet spot, if not, no joy, and it will complain.

Possibly things were ok at first, but right on the edge, and after some miles the unit can't get there.

The solution with this issue is to move the IP SLIGHTLY.

you can do this without a scanner.

Mark the IP and the timing cover with a sharp STRAIGHT scribe mark where they bolt together.

LOOSEN THE 3 BOLTS that hold the IP to the cover, move the IP so the marks are about 1/32 or so offset.

Tighten things up, start the engine and see what happens.

IF the ses stays off, your good, if not, repeat the process but go the other way.

If the issue is that the STEPPER can't reach the desired location and you get things back to where it can, then the ECM will set things properly and it will stop complaining.

The best part is that you can put the IP back to the original location.

Worth a try.

Missy