PDA

View Full Version : heater hose assembly part number?

bx8lugger
11-05-2012, 07:08
Hey, I finally got around to work on my k2500 project truck. I noticed I need a part that I am having a really hard time finding. I need the heater hose tube assembly from the heater core to the cross over. My truck only had a heater hose ran from the crossover to heater core rubbing everything on the manifold and ziptied everywhere. I want to put the original aluminum tube that goes there. I noticed that the only sell the curved heater hose that you have to cut the crimped hose off the tube and put the new hose on with a clamp. Does anyone know the part number to this aluminum tube or where to get one?

jamesm
11-05-2012, 09:17
When I did the "monster" top-end job earlier this year, I had to replace the goofy nipple-adapter at the thermostat housing (the cheezy brass-looking hex gizmo with the super-cheezy plastic retainer clip). It is actually aluminum, and had 92% dissolved.

I still have the formed-aluminum/rubber line from the crossover to the heater. But if I had it to do over again, I would have just put in a 1/2" M-NPT nipple to 3/4" hose barb, and run a "soft" hose like your rig has.

That being said, the nipple gizmo was available from the local dealer. Perhaps the hose is, too.

If it's not, I'd suggest:
***pull the crossover and bring it to a machine shop or your buddy with such tools. Break off the cheezy nipple-adapter and extract the dissolved remnants of same; I had to run a tap (1/2 NPT) through mine.
***install a collection of bushing/nipple/barb parts to get you from 1/2 F-NPT (at thermostat housing) to the proper hose barb size matching the heater.
***source a piece of 1/8" diameter stainless round rod (piece of TIG welding rod should be fine) or 3/16" aluminum round rod, grind the ends to round them, and feed it through the heater hose. Use that as a forming piece, and bend it to the shape you want (to get past the turbo outlet, CDR, etc). Leave it in the hose to maintain that dodgy shape.

I'd suggest adding a brass ball valve to the line, so you can shut off heater water in the summer. What a lame omission on The General's part.

a5150nut
11-05-2012, 16:38
***pull the crossover and bring it to a machine shop or your buddy with such tools. Break off the cheezy nipple-adapter and extract the dissolved remnants of same; I had to run a tap (1/2 NPT) through mine.
***install a collection of bushing/nipple/barb parts to get you from 1/2 F-NPT (at thermostat housing) to the proper hose barb size matching the heater.
***source a piece of 1/8" diameter stainless round rod (piece of TIG welding rod should be fine) or 3/16" aluminum round rod, grind the ends to round them, and feed it through the heater hose. Use that as a forming piece, and bend it to the shape you want (to get past the turbo outlet, CDR, etc). Leave it in the hose to maintain that dodgy shape.

I'd suggest adding a brass ball valve to the line, so you can shut off heater water in the summer. What a lame omission on The General's part.

Now I like you way of thinking.

bx8lugger
11-07-2012, 07:36
That's not a bad idea. I already have the quick connect coupler replaced with a hose barb fitting, lucky it was a new crossover housing cause I did the 98+ cooling system conversion. But I would still like to maintain a clean stock like appearance and ease of buying and installing the stock hose that goes from the heater core at the firewall to the tube at the top pass rear of the intake manifold. But I have gone on numerous dealer websites and numerous other parts sites and done numerous other Google searches and so far turned up nothing. I know there is someone out there that has bought this part or knows the part number, or even knows what I'm talking about that when you ask for a heater hose you only get a choice between a curved about 10" hose or a 3-4' length of heater hose that goes to the radiator. But when you go to install the short curved hose the original hose assembly is a hose crimped to the aluminum tube excactly like our stock oil cooler lines. And I know someone out there has had to had a tube that fell apart from corrosion when trying to take it apart. I know this part number for this exists out there.

john8662
11-08-2012, 18:44
A short piece of 5/8" heater hose will slide over the portion on the tube where the "quick connect" connected to. This acts as a barb. Get a generic 1/2" npt to 5/8 hose adapter from the parts store (usually in the help section). no cutting of the alum hose is required, Just some elbow grease to get the hose to slide over the barb/lip.