PDA

View Full Version : Block Heater question

Andy Chesek
02-04-2004, 07:20
I called my friendly Chevy dealer this morning, in search of a block heater. I'm in central PA, and my truck came from the south so it doesn't currently have one. The parts guy didn't have a block heater listed for a '99 6.5L TD, but found one listed for the '98 model year. The "low year (older models)" listed for the heater is 1982 and the "high year" (later models)" is 2002. GM Part Number is 12343981

I would like to know if this block heater is the one for my truck, if someone would be so kind to fill me in smile.gif The price listed at gmpartsdirect is nice as well, so I'll take that route if it's what I need. Thanks.

Andy

taznj63
02-04-2004, 09:02
The Block heater is the same for all 6.5TD trucks...
It installs on the drivers side center freeze out plug.
Drain the coolant, remove the plug and install the heater...
That should do it... :cool:

DmaxMaverick
02-04-2004, 10:50
I am not aware of any consumer release GM diesel that did not have a block heater. They were not a selectible option. Check for one on the driver's side of the block just above the oil pan. Bet it's there, or was. If by chance it doesn't have one, any previous or later year 6.5L will fit and work.

tom.mcinerney
02-04-2004, 19:31
Yes, Andy, look behind oil cooler lines between motor mount and oilfilter, should be in block plug.
I got nice block heaters thru my NAPA dealer. They have long cords and reflective heat shielding. They're made by an outfit called 'Pyroil'.

Andy Chesek
02-05-2004, 06:09
Well, I went out this morning and crawled underneath my truck to see what I could... sure enough I saw a line coming out of the block with what looked like a braided shield. Popped the hood open and followed it, found the plug and the rest of the wire zip-tied between the bottom of the radiator and the power steering gearbox. Woohoo, I've already got a block heater. I just wish I knew it was there earlier, we've had many nights recently with the temperatures near or even below zero. Thank you guys for the help.

Andy