PDA

View Full Version : hummer 6.2L direct drop in?

Corpse
10-24-2012, 19:45
so my k5s 6.2 is on its last legs... i found a site that has military surplus(think i found the link from here)

anyway, the guy says he has a bunch... now are they a direct drop in or is there some issues i will have to deal with? mine is an 83

thanks.

BigGun J
10-24-2012, 20:58
I bought a military take out for my LandCruiser project. The oil pan, exhaust manifolds, intake, front pulley 24V electrical compoinents needed to be replaced wirh my original 6.2 bolt on items. The basic long block the same.. Beware of ebay sellers. I communicated with the guy, BLA BLA and still received a motor with visiable web cracks and the crand broke within the first year. If you can not inspect the motor befor purchasing it. I would not consider it unless you are very certain it is a repitalble seller. Rebuilds from quaility sellers are expensive but in the end it is money well spent. I am on my second "cheap motor" and my project is still not on the road. If at all posible buy form a known business.

Jim

Corpse
10-25-2012, 05:41
this is where i was going to get the engine from

www.whiteowl.com

Edahall
10-25-2012, 07:10
If you can not inspect the motor befor purchasing it. I would not consider it unless you are very certain it is a repitalble seller. Rebuilds from quaility sellers are expensive but in the end it is money well spent. I am on my second "cheap motor" and my project is still not on the road. If at all posible buy form a known business.

Jim

That's good advice above. I too would never buy a 6.2 unless I could at least open up the bottom pan and inspect for cracks or have a written guarantee that the blocks are "crack free".

Corpse
10-25-2012, 10:19
dont know how i would swing a visit to check it out since i live in Toronto Canada. i was hoping the hummer engines were just the same as j codes.

Edahall
10-25-2012, 12:56
dont know how i would swing a visit to check it out since i live in Toronto Canada. i was hoping the hummer engines were just the same as j codes.

Well, if they won't give you a written guarantee, I would assume the worst.

BigGun J
10-27-2012, 10:15
That is not where I purchased my motor. The bummer is after purchasing the engine, paying the shipping and then if it is not what you expected. They will want you to return the engine (you pay shippng twice) now when do they refund your money? How do you trust they will do it? In my experience I was not comfortable getting a refund so I went ahead and ran the motor. When the crank broke the visible cracks did not seem to have grown. My second motor I removed from a truck I bought and drove, ran nice and smooth. Search wobble flexplate and that is the issue I have. today I am finally going to crawl under it and pull the tranny and see if I can sort out the issue.

It looks like a viable option but you hear my story and you hear the success stories. In the end it is a crap shoot. The military motor is not direct drop in but as long as you have a civilian 6.2 you have the bolt on items needed.

It is a big world but the internet makes it small. Maybe you could post a shout out to members that live in NC. If someone is in the area possibly they could go take a look and you could drop them a couple of $$ for there time and piece of mind for your self. I wish I had thought of that prior to my purchase.

Good luck to what ever your decesion is. Jim

tomtaylor
11-05-2012, 00:48
I too would not buy from Ebay or anyone without a written guarantee because I got a supposedly grade "A" military hummer take out and got a a really nice rebuilt engine..... only problem was that it had 2 spun rod bearings when I opened it up and found that the engine had been thrown back together without out gaskets to be shipped in the military container. it was not worth returning because of shipping costs. I did far better just picking up a local used running 6.2 for much less.

Fortunately the good parts from the military motor will sell for the same amount I paid for the unit in total so I will get my money back eventually.