PDA

View Full Version : New Diesel

radrecon69
02-04-2004, 04:38
Hi

Just bought a new diesel truck 1993 3500, butit comes with a problem. The guy I brought it from put on a IP and injector he told me that he was not very savvy with diesel now problem is that it will idle great but when you put it in gear and starts to miss with black smoke and will not hardly move. The truck has 180000 miles and I don't anything else about it wether it has a new timing chain on it or not. Any suggestion

Rick

britannic
02-04-2004, 05:48
Check the timing first - start with 2-3* BTDC @ 1300rpm and if it improves, experiment with different timing settings within +/-2*. Try to find out if the pump has been turned up - was it too much? Is the turbo making boost? How old are the injectors and IP?

radrecon69
02-04-2004, 09:53
Britannic

Now it is supposed to be a new pump on there with injectors. Is it possible to be a tooth off on the pump drive gear? I thought I had read that it wasn't possible to be a tooth off on the gear.

Rick

Johnny B.
02-04-2004, 10:07
I suppose its possible to be a tooth off, but I suspect it would also run rough at idle, I'm no expert. Having just put new gears and timing chain in my truck Aug 2003 you would almost have to be blind to not align the dots on the gears.

When I tightened my IP I was as close as possible lining up the marks. After filling the filter bowl my truck fired up and ran great. Could someone indicate how to check timing on a 92-93 6.5 TD and what tools are needed. Funny thing I asked a friend who is a Kenworth mechanic to borrow a timing light to set the timing on my diesel, he just laughed!

britannic
02-04-2004, 20:33
After installing my gears my timing was way too advanced because all of the chain slack was gone.

I have timed my truck using a gasser timing light, but it will require a glowplug or inj. line pulse adapter to generate a simulated HT signal.

FYI: I actually have a snap-on glow plug adapter HT simulator for sale.

If you have the money or a good friend, the diesel timing meter designed for Ford IDIs or our Chevy's are the preferred timing option.

e.g. MT480, MT1480, Rotunda 70-00100 etc.

radrecon69
02-04-2004, 22:58
Britannic

I see how that would happen if the truck had a new timimg gear but all he did was change the IP and the INJ.

How much for the timimg adapter?

Rick

britannic
02-05-2004, 10:18
Originally posted by radrecon69:
Britannic

I see how that would happen if the truck had a new timimg gear but all he did was change the IP and the INJ.

How much for the timimg adapter?

Rick Email me at "hughami at yahoo dot com" for more details.

charliepeterson
02-05-2004, 19:47
I would go back to the starting point and align the timing marks straight up. On top of the injection pump will be a small scribe mark at the mounting flange. On the timing case there is another mark straight up. After both marks are lined up see how it runs.

More aggressive timing towards the driver's side. 1mm=big change.