PDA

View Full Version : Stupid newb question

TxGary
10-21-2012, 20:02
Hi folks. This is my first diesel and first turbo. The truck has plenty of pickup (I'm often surprised by how fast I've gotten up to speed) but from all I've read on turbos, I'm not feeling the "kick" of the turbo going to boost. Should I? I really don't know what to expect. I do know that my fuel economy is way on the suckish side. 10-12 MPG. I've read here that 17-20 is the norm. Could the turbo be an issue? Currently at 121k miles and no idea of past history. No issues with the engine other than a lot of valvetrain noise. Is this also normal? Where do I start?

racer55
10-23-2012, 14:46
These engines run relatively low boost compared to others and it is load sensitive as well-you won't feel any turbo kick with this truck-lucky to even hear the whistle.
Turbo issues present as unusual black smoke.

Mileage depends on many factors and gear ratio is a big 1-high mileage numbers are often posted by folks driving suburbans with very high gears-3.46 or higher.
The full size trucks more often have 4.11 or lower gears and sacrifice mileage for pulling power.
What is your cruising rpm @ 60mmph?

Valvetrain noise is not what I would call normal but can be miss-identified diesel knock?
There can be valvetrain issues but usually present as a miss or rough running engine.

You would be well advised to get a boost and EGT gauge installed soon and consider new/rebuilt bosch,styanadyne or delphi injectors-it is due after 100,000 miles.

Congrats on a low mileage 21 year old truck.

TxGary
02-10-2013, 22:26
Where is the best place to tap in a boost gauge?

racer55
02-11-2013, 06:21
Anywhere on the upper intake manifold is a good place,just drill and tap for the proper fitting to mate with your gauge.

or buy a boost bolt from Leroy Diesel and put it in one of the center bolt holes-they are open to bost in the lower intake.