PDA

View Full Version : Glow plugs,. it,s that time of year,.

phantom309
10-06-2012, 10:57
I,ve been re-reading all about glow plugs again,.
The quick heats,.the poor durability,.work great when new,.
The 60G's, good, but could use longer glow times,
The bosch duraterms, a crowd favourite,.
The dieselRX that summit sells, not much feed back

I wish there was a glow plug for the 6.5 that had a bolt on terminal, rather than the push on style,.

Cold weather will be here soon in edmonton, its time to make things right,.

So?? whats everybodys' opinions on what works best for them, and why?
Best value for money (i.e. good deal on flea bay etc,.)

Nick

DaveNY
10-06-2012, 12:47
60 gs and a controller Jan/07 not a hiccup since. Readily available and cheap!!!

For what its worth,
Dave

chickenhunterbob
10-07-2012, 19:10
The 60G's, good, but could use longer glow times,
The bosch duraterms, a crowd favourite,.
The dieselRX that summit sells, not much feed back

I wish there was a glow plug for the 6.5 that had a bolt on terminal, rather than the push on style,.

Cold weather will be here soon in edmonton, its time to make things right,.

So?? whats everybodys' opinions on what works best for them, and why?
Best value for money (i.e. good deal on flea bay etc,.)

Nick

I just put in a set of 8 AC60G a month or so ago then engine blew, you can have then for no charge except the price of shipping if you want them.

I've used 9G, 11G and 60G, no difference, except apparently the 9G (not self regulating) would swell on controller failure.

phantom309
10-08-2012, 19:47
I just put in a set of 8 AC60G a month or so ago then engine blew, you can have then for no charge except the price of shipping if you want them.

I've used 9G, 11G and 60G, no difference, except apparently the 9G (not self regulating) would swell on controller failure.

Well thats a heck of a deal,.
I pm,d you,.

whats happening with the rest of the truck?

nick

AKMark
10-09-2012, 11:24
I live in Alaska, have tried several types, the old 6.2 has 9G's currently and with a manual glow plug controller starts right up.

I upgraded my 6.5 to quick heats, from a 3 year old set of 11G's, and I can say the quick heats work better for me than the 11G's did. I have a secondary solenoid on mine so I can add time to my glow cycle whenever I want/need to. When it's -60, it's nice to give the glow plugs a couple of seconds to take a break after the auto cycle and then cycle them for another five seconds right after starting the engine, and intermittently if needed till it's running smoothly. Even with warming the block, oil pan and batteries, at -60 you need all the heat you can get.

Dunno what the LLY Duramax uses but those glow plugs cycle for about 1-2 seconds and she fires to life quick. Love this truck.

Kennedy
10-09-2012, 11:32

Nick

Huh??? :confused:

I can't remember the last time I heard a complaint on the QH plugs and we sell a lot.

chickenhunterbob
10-09-2012, 18:12
Well thats a heck of a deal,.
I pm,d you,.

whats happening with the rest of the truck?

nick

Everything is for sale. Crack in #4 cylinder, was going to replace heads until I saw the crack then decided to cut my losses.

phantom309
10-22-2012, 19:07
Bob as fate would have it,. i,m doing a project from st leon MB to isle de chenes,.going to be in the winnipeg area for the next 3 weeks,.
can you check your PM's and give me a call?

Nick

phantom309
10-28-2012, 17:48
Bob,.,,,....??