PDA

View Full Version : Pushrods

JeepSJ
09-29-2012, 14:07
When I put my engine together approx 60K miles ago, I put the push rods back in based on the way they came out. It was obvious which end was riding in the rocker arm so I put them back the same way.

Since then I have read numerous posts there about indexing them - making sure the copper colored end was up. Supposedly that end is hardened and if you don't put that end towards the top you will eat up the pushrods or rockers or both, and it will happen very quickly.

I pulled my injection pump today and that pushrod indexing question was always in my mind so I pulled the valve covers to check. About half had the copper colored end up, the others had the copper colored end down. Upon inspecting the pushrods and the rockers, I can see no visible difference in wear on the pushrods or the rockers.

I have 60K miles on the engine, plus however many miles were on it before I got it. If there is a difference in the ends of the pushrods, I'm not seeing it.

sctrailrider
09-29-2012, 16:40
It will be too late when you do see it, it does make a difference sooner or later.

JeepSJ
09-30-2012, 19:22
It will be too late when you do see it, it does make a difference sooner or later.

I would think that 60K miles would show something.

I've also looked through every service manual that I have for the 6.5 and haven't seen anything about indexing the pushrods.

sctrailrider
10-01-2012, 05:25
When they wear, they wear the cup in the rocker and the rocker gets thin and the rod pushes through the rocker....

You won't know it without measuring the cup in the rocker....

I could be wrong here, maybe someone else will prove me wrong here...

Robyn
10-01-2012, 07:54
The copper colored ends are hardened, the others are not.

If things look ok, just get them all in proper and it should be fine.

Make sure that the ones that were in wrong do not show any scuffing/wear in the ball pocket of the rocker.

If they do, change the rockers and the push rods

Far easier to do it now then when its all buttoned up again.

Missy