PDA

View Full Version : Bosch injectors: new or remanufactured?

chessy56
09-26-2012, 13:22
My original injectors lasted me 187K miles before they started going bad. My local Chevy dealer replaced all 8, but used remanufactured Bosch injectors. After 95K miles, injector #7 had a high balance rate (-4.0 to -4.2 @ idle, in park) and #4 was showing higher numbers (in the opposite direction). Exhaust was beginning to smoke. I had all 8 replaced again and the dealership used remanufactured Bosch injectors again. So what's everyone's preference/experience: more longevity from "new" injectors or are the Bosch remans good to use?
2001 LB7, now with 290K miles
2500 HD

More Power
09-26-2012, 15:00
What's the difference in price between new and rebuilt? If the diff is minor, I'd be inclined to go with new. If it's a lot, then it becomes a gamble - a roll of the dice.

That said, generally, the wear items are replaced during a rebuild. If the injector body is perfectly fine, the rebuild should be equal in terms of life when compared to new injectors.

Jim

chessy56
09-26-2012, 19:50
After checking numerous sites, there appears to be a wide range of prices on what are claimed to be "new" LB7 injectors. Typically, I'm seeing everything from $345 down to $270 as being "new". Others I've found may be as low as $225, but one supplier claimed that if the price seems too good to be true, they're probably rebuilt. Add another $150 to $200 each for core charges which are refunded upon return of the old ones.

My dealership hosed me $280 ea for reman'd injectors. GMPartsDirect.com offers the same rebuilt injectors for $180 ea. I did notice that the newer versions had the chrome plated ball/seat, but don't know if the reman'd ones have this as well. One site claimed that you can't get "new" injectors unless you bought them installed in a new vehicle. I wouldn't know and I'm not in the market for a new ride at the moment.

Anyway, I'm still curious as to whether longevity is the same or better with brand new injectors. Hopefully, I won't have to find out for a while. $4K is a healthy chunk to part with! I'd be better off doing these replacements myself.

Kennedy
09-26-2012, 20:35
I checked with both GM and Bosch and was told new were NOT available for purchase. As stated elsewhere it's a buyer beware market. I trust my suppliers to give me a fair price and try to do the same for my customers.

More Power
09-27-2012, 11:45
The latest issue of Diesel Power magazine included an article about injector failures and what causes it. Most of the info is similar to what we've heard here in this board - agreeing with JK's posts. Good article overall, with good magnified pics showing things like ball seat erosion, cracked nozzles and so on.

One item I picked up on in the article was a discussion about cheap "imported" replacement parts used in some rebuilt injectors. The article was too kind when discussing the cheap parts.... I would have said avoid cheap CHINESE knockoff parts at all cost, and I would have gone into more detail about how to ensure you get the right parts (shop with well known vendors). The author was a little fuzzy on that subject. Jim

Kennedy
09-27-2012, 12:37
The whole article was pretty "fluffy" to me. Pretty much entry level rehash.