PDA

View Full Version : SCAT, Mahle, and other items on new rebuild

jggiedeman
09-21-2012, 19:00
Hello all,

I'm building rather than buying an AMG motor. At this point I'm considering why I went this route. Started out simple enough with a convincing system of cap and trade. I should be able to build an engine for 2K less than and Optimzier. Cost was the biggest factor. I now realize that a complete US made engine would have been the best route. The dang truck would have been on the road already.

SCAT crankshaft - you read a bunch about them. Very stout, etc. Bought my crank, tried to get one with the bearings but they don't retail it that way anymore. The crank did not come with a flexplate locating pin. Bought one from GM - actually bought five to get one. GM packing rules here in my town. Interestinly enough it is just a "C" clip pin now. Anyway, took it to my trusty machine shop where I've had excellent balancing completed in the past. The machinist looked at me and groaned. He said beware young man - SCAT cranks have gone south in pre-balancing factory preparation in the last few years. He said they may need to add some Mallory metal and the $$ figure for my rebuild just rose. I lucked out and they ONLY had to remove 48 grams of metal. They did state that a previous Ford crank they recently worked required 112 grams of removal. I did check with a few other reputable balancing shops and they all said the same about the SCAT cranks. So if you buy then better plan on a balance because 48 grams is a lot of weight to throw around at 3000 rpms.

Mahle - very reputable product. I went with top and side coated pistons with premium rings. Not a cheap product altogether. I bought a set of 8 pistons w/pins. All great for 7 of the pistons. They weighed within 2 grams of each other. Number 8 weighed 15 grams less. So I went back to my piston dealer who called Mahle. What's up he asked. Mahle asked, What's the problem - Our tolerance is 30 grams, so what. So the piston seller bought another set of 8 which Mahle had to assemble out of 13 pistons on the shelf (only 13 standard bore pistons in US stock system). The seller weighed them and we finally got a set close all around.

My balance job is complete but sure nerve wracking. 4 weeks from start to finish.

Anybody for 130 lbs of Chinese paper weights? That was the set of heads that I had bought originally. Anything I believe they state as Canada is straight from China. Vancouver is a very inexpensive point of shipping entry. Any block vendor can slap Canada stickers on it and state cast in Canada. The block I purchased came straight from Canada, not the US vendor. I believe if the US vendor received and prepped the block properly I wouldn't have sent it back so quickly.

More soon,

Jerry

SIG220
09-30-2012, 07:09
Sorry for your misfortunes. I had planned on rebuilding my motor out of the Tahoe. While its not out of the question it certainly wont happen for a long time. Its actually cheaper (at least short term) to buy a running motor and throw it in. A local diesel shop wanted $600-800 just to look at everything and make sure it was kosher to throw back together!:eek: (I had lost compression in half my cylinders)

When I started looking at parts needed to rebuild the motor I then realized that 6.5's being "cheap" to rebuild is relative to other diesels, but it is still by no means cheap.

Not to mention all the little details of rebuilding a motor makes my head spin.

Robyn
09-30-2012, 07:54
Oh yeah buddy

Been down this road myself.

Used some of the heads that come by boat (clerwater cyl head)
Had good luck and no issues..

The Chinese blocks I have seen looked good, but one needs to be careful with them.
I have seen oil passages clogged with oily sludge and machining chips.

As far as the overal durability of the CHI blocks, ????????????? its a crap shoot.
I know of two locally that are running fine now for over a year after being built.

As far as the Scat cranks go, I have one, and Bill Heath swears by them.

If you have $1000 to spend, you can get an AMG forged steel crank.
Another $1000 will get a pair of AMG heads to your door, thats only $300 more than the CCH heads.

I managed to score a real deal AMG block, but it turned out to be from a batch that had been rejected due to the mainline being .0025" too small.

These were supposed to have been destroyed, but some got loose, and showed up on ebay.

I called AMG and after much teeth pulling found someone who was willing to divulge the real story.

Seems that there were about 200 blocks that were involved and the small main bore issues were not discovered until the blocks showed up at the assembly plant.

The machine line was stopped and the entire batch of blocks were pulled and ordered scraped.

The machine line has no provision to "rerun" parts.
The idea was fielded to just have an outside shop fix the error and then proceed.

Management said noooooooooooooooooo way. these blocks could get loose.
Soooooo, the order was given to send them back to the foundary to be smashed and remelted.

THEY NEVER GOT QUITE THAT FAR. :eek:

All the blocks that were close enough to be used were shuffled off by some employees and sold.

These are/were the real deal Optimzer blocks.

Mine needed the cylinders finish bored, but then at the start of assembly I discovered the mainline issue,

A quick trip to the machine shop and a few strokes in the line hone, zoooop, all better. :)

I payed $500 for the block to start with, then about $300 for the machining.

Overall not bad for a fresh top notch block.

I landed a set of AMG heads that were shiipped out on a P400 for HUMMER, but were pickup heads, not the van/hummer heads.

I bought the heads for $600 (never run)

Found a scat crank for about half the normal going price.

As was mentioned. the crank came without the dowel pin.
The block came without any of the dowels, oil galley plugs or other stuff thats normally with a bare block.

This was A CONVOLUTED mess to get a good build, and took nearly a year to make it come together.

The easy, and probably the cheapest route is an AMG crate engine.

Trying to piece one of these together is a real PITA for sure.

Missy