PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab w/6.5L

M Williams
09-18-2012, 04:58
Wow!! Im NOT the only one out there having problems with my 6.5L.
Short story is Ive spent on the motor almost as much as the purchase cost(I bought used 80,000 miles).Im at 300,000 now and less than a year ago had a new Stadyne pump put on. Started bucking again.
My head is spinning from all the reading purtaining to this subject but I look forward to asking questions. Im taking the truck today back to Common wealth diesel. My guess is the pump (PMD?)Will let you know what I find and then ask some questions about the code that stays on...I think its 0126 something about low coolant temp issue.
I was about to send this truck to scrap but now am waiting on the new books I purchased (from this site)
Thanks for a great site guys
Mike

sctrailrider
09-18-2012, 05:42
A little more detail would help us here, but if the PMD is still mounted to the side of the injection pump that might be the trouble, the PMD should be moved to a cooler place like the back of the front bumper. You can search here and find lots of info on it, the PMD gets hot and goes bad, and don't buy a cheap PMD, buy from a well known seller, there is no way to test a PMD other than use it that I know of so make sure you trust who you get it from, I think that Kennedy Diesel sells them, he is a site vender here.

M Williams
09-18-2012, 06:57
Thanks Chris
I know I left out a ton of info. I will post more after I talk with Commonwealth Diesel here in VA. Im still under warranty with them. They installed a new pump under the intake, fuel filter, and new lift pump last year.

M Williams
09-20-2012, 09:27
So here is what was found.... 1 code was P0126 The insert on the plastic plug was broke. So when I put a jumper wire on it, it pressed it in enough to show it was good. When I unplugged it, the connector inside relaxed (breaking thecircut) New switch going in now.
I can t remember the other code but it was purtaining to the wastgate/turbo. Replacing a switch for that.
Both of the above items have been replaced before so I ordered a relocation PMD kit from Kennedys.
Hope to get another 100,000 miles out of my truck. Thanks for listening. Mike

M Williams
09-27-2012, 07:25
OK so got the new Kennedy PMD relocation kit.(Thanks John) Got it all back together last night. Can t believe it, the truck started LOL. I checked for leakes (replaced anti-freeze) and didn t find anything while it idled. Also added the fuel additive that Kennedy advised , and added a new belt. Will try to go for a drive tonight.
Mike