PDA

View Full Version : hard start

lathepuppy
09-15-2012, 17:47
Hello

I have a 2000 GMC with the 6.5 turbo diesel, which I have rebuilt. It started fine until I took it to have it timed. Now it acts like an air leak, have changed almost very hose and can find no leaks. If I jumper the lift pump and bleed the fuel filter, it will start right up. Any suggestions?

stormtrooper
09-15-2012, 19:45
This started after you had it timed. Is that immediately after of a few days or weeks after?

If I jumper the lift pump and bleed the fuel filter, it will start right up. Any suggestions?Was the fuel filter changed? Is there an air leak there?

lathepuppy
09-16-2012, 04:57
It sat for over a week before I could get it, that's when the problem started. I just changed the fuel filter. It seems when I tighten the filter there isn't much pressure on the gasket.

Robyn
09-16-2012, 07:40
Most probably you are getting a "drain back" from the filter/IP

The lift pump should not allow this to occur.

Make sure all the hoses are good and that the lift pump is in good order.
The lift pump should prime the system when the ign is switched to start.

Make sure this happens, and maybe replace the lift pump to be sure your in good order.

The fact that the rig starts right up after you prime and bleed it certainly points to this issue.

Keep us posted

Missy

JohnC
09-18-2012, 11:08
It's possible you didn't get the filter in correctly. There is only one way it will fit; one of the tabs is bigger and must fit the correct slot...

M Williams
09-18-2012, 13:10
Like Johnc metioned...filter not on correct. If your filter is like my 1998 Chevy 6.5 I changed to a Wix fuel filter. The filter and plastic cap are molded as one. No need to line up the slots. I can t see as well as I use too.
Mike

lathepuppy
11-23-2012, 20:09
Thank you for all the input, I tried the Wix filter, no difference, check valve before filter, nada. Checked the glow plugs - 6 were burnt off!
Put new ones in from Kennedys, started right up. It only has 1200 miles on it, I still think they messed them up when they timed it!