PDA

View Full Version : IP going out or ?

MKinON
09-13-2012, 05:00
Hello, first post here. I have a 99 Savana with stock 6.5 TD with a remote PMD mounted up at the right side of rad on the front upper cross-member. I've owned the truck since 2004 when it had about 140,000km (90,000miles). It now shows just over 320,000km (200,000miles). I know it had a new IP at some point with the previous owner. Back in about 2009 the remote mounted PMD went in. This June we again replaced the PMD. Now the same typical symptoms (stalling, stumbling) are back. I have read a lot of the stalling posts and know the grounds, lift pump and filter, among a few other things should first be ruled out. I called the diesel shop about getting this done and was told that with that there is an equally important translator/receiver in the pump, that eventually the pump gets weaker and that really, it should be rebuilt. My thinking is, that if it runs well otherwise when it's running, which it does, the IP is quite likely fine and it's one of these other problems or simply a bad PMD. Don't yet have a spare card but do intend to get another since the problem is getting worse quickly. When I called about getting one, that's when I was told that sooner than later, the pump should be rebuilt. I would do this trouble shooting myself, but just can't get the time for the next while and it's in regular use. Fuel filter is clean, and there appeared to be good flow at the filter, but I don't think the LP has ever been changed in all this time. I'm almost wondering if it would be cost effective to just change it out anyway and see if that cures it. Problem with the Savana is, you practically have to rip the whole truck apart to get at the engine if you're doing anything more than adding oil or checking the rad fluid. Is my thought process fairly logical on this? I'm going to get a new PMD today in any event. Thanks for any and all advice.

JohnC
09-18-2012, 11:06
Not sure what they are calling a "translator receiver", (If they can't explain, run...) maybe the optical sensor, but most electrical issues with the pump will set a code. Mechanical issues are usually confined to things that reduce the pressure the pump can develop. The first symptoms are often difficult starts when warm.