PDA

View Full Version : 2002 trans temp gauge reads 0

19916.2gw
09-08-2012, 17:45
Hi new guy here
I've had a 2002 chevy 2500hd for 3 years now 130,000 mi, banks 6 gun, iq display, banks ram air, big head waste gate, 4 inch summit exhaust turbo back all else stock. The truck currently on "econo tune" all was fine until "the trans fluid temp hot idle engine" warning appeared on my cluster. I drove the truck about 5 min and 1 mile from work after leaving at 430am truck had been parked for 14 hrs. The tranny temp jumped from 170 to 230 then 0 where it remained the rest of the 12 mile drive home. On the banks iq the trans temp read 199, engine temp 180 to 184 by the time i got home. The trans shifted as it always has, fluid checked and full, screw on filter changed 6000 mi ago, daily driver no towing last 6 months. Fluid appeared clean, did not smell burnt, i started truck this afternoon cluster gauge reading 0, banks reading 199 no change after 10 min. I have not changed the tranny fluid or had it flushed since purchase. I'm clueless here any input appreciated.
thanks in advance
th

19916.2gw
09-08-2012, 17:54
I should add the warning was present for 1 to 2 seconds and no DTC codes.

19916.2gw
09-12-2012, 10:31
Hi again, yesterday trans temp 118 about 4 miles into my drive to work jumped to 312 then 199 on my banks display factory gauge followed except after bouncing around ended up on 0 again. This time DTC P0700 showed up. Today on my drive to work everything fuctioned normally. During all these events the allison has worked perfectly which makes me think that this is tcm,sensor,gauge, or wiring related. Current options are EFI live or Tech2 both of which I dont have. I am not a fan of dealers but it appears i will be headed that way for a diagnosis.

19916.2gw
09-17-2012, 17:02
Gotta love the dealer, with a 2 and 3 year old at home with stay at home mom I decided to take to the dealer since the diagnosis appeared to be electrical in nature and my tech 1 obviously is useless for my current problem. While working full time I thought time with the kids would be a good thing. Enough babble- the dealer retrived P0711 and P0712, replaced the TFP switch and did a "tranny service" replaced the external filter for $413.49. The best part is after leaving the dealer for about 3 blocks the the " trans fluid temp hot idle engine" flashed the temp guage pegged hot for 1 second then pegged to 0 exactly as it had done before. I called the dealer and will take it back for some type of resolution. Transmission fluid temp sensor circuit malfuction. Is this a somewhat common problem for the earlier duramax trucks?

Please help...

GM Customer Service
09-19-2012, 15:17
Gotta love the dealer, with a 2 and 3 year old at home with stay at home mom I decided to take to the dealer since the diagnosis appeared to be electrical in nature and my tech 1 obviously is useless for my current problem. While working full time I thought time with the kids would be a good thing. Enough babble- the dealer retrived P0711 and P0712, replaced the TFP switch and did a "tranny service" replaced the external filter for $413.49. The best part is after leaving the dealer for about 3 blocks the the " trans fluid temp hot idle engine" flashed the temp guage pegged hot for 1 second then pegged to 0 exactly as it had done before. I called the dealer and will take it back for some type of resolution. Transmission fluid temp sensor circuit malfuction. Is this a somewhat common problem for the earlier duramax trucks?

Please help...

19916.2gw,

Please keep us posted about the concerns with your vehicle. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Tina
Chevrolet Customer Service

19916.2gw
09-19-2012, 20:17
Thanks, i've wondered in the GM hierarchy at what levels are customer service policies generated? Does each dealer generate and implement their own based on corporate recommendations? Just curious. I have no problem paying for correct diagnosis and service/replacement. What is problematic is paying for incorrect stuff which leaves the customer to the quality and knowledge base of a particular dealer/service rep/technician. My opinion about dealers costing to much is not going to change. At this point i've been given the "we are trying to get to the bottom of this" and my impression is thats great for the dealer as long as i keep paying. What i have not done is have very direct conversation regarding $charges and in the same spot before i took it to the dealer. Any suggestions or customer service recourse?