PDA

View Full Version : Minimum filtration req'd by Bosch?

chessy56
09-05-2012, 11:49
So, after searching for topics on fuel filtration and reviewing some 15 pages that were returned, I have yet to see just exactly what is a "minimum filtration requirement" for Bosch injectors. Currently, there's only one filter in my Dmax's fuel system and that is the OEM head with a Baldwin 7827 element. I called Baldwin and spoke with one of their engineers on this issue, looking for the "best" they had to offer. Frankly, I was told the 7827 is about the best as it filters to 4 microns @ 99.4%. Baldwin stated that their present testing equipment will NOT measure anything smaller than 4 microns. I saw somewhere on these pages, a Baldwin 7635 filter and inquired on its specs- Baldwin stated it was a 5 micron filter @ 98.6%.

Other posts have mentioned a 2 micron filter (Racor?). Who makes these and are they truely capable of 2 microns? And, at what percent efficiency? I'm getting the impression Bosch would like to see 0.5 micron filtration, but I think that breeches the realm of the rediculous. Also, I believe it to be an accepted fact that as a filter loads up, it is capable of capturing smaller and smaller particulate- until it plugs and becomes useless.

So, if there truely is a 2 micron filter out there, who makes it and/or sells it? I have a '01 LB7 on its 2nd set of injectors- the 1st set failing ~187K, the 2nd set now with ~105K (with occasional sightings of white smoke and a strong fuel odor). I run Power Service (Gray can) and Lucas fuel conditioner (not the best by some folk's opinion, but better than nothing). Balance rates, idling in gear, are rarely above +/- 4.0 on the high end, and often times closer to +/- 2.5 after a good 4 hour run (injectors 1,2,3,5 & 6 are usually "0" +/- 1).

I'm just looking for the best filtration, but it certainly seems to me that the Baldwin folks have "met or exceeded" the GM requirements for the Dmax. Anyone with a known better filter?

Kennedy
09-05-2012, 14:16
I'm just looking for the best filtration, but it certainly seems to me that the Baldwin folks have "met or exceeded" the GM requirements for the Dmax. Anyone with a known better filter?

Yes TWO of just about anything in the same efficiency range. And filters work better when they have lightly pressurized supply.

I run both of the afformentioned filters in series PLUS I double filter the fuel before it even hits my tank.

lmholmes11
09-08-2012, 04:56
You could buy the Nictane Caterpillar fuel filter adapter. Those are 2 micron I believe and they are half the price of a oem filter

chessy56
09-12-2012, 17:30
I spoke with Nick at Nicktane and it appears that the CAT filter was redesigned and is not 2 micron anymore. The Donaldson brand is a 3 micron absolute and probably a better choice than the CAT. Just another option to consider I guess.