PDA

View Full Version : Code 88 HELP

txhotrod
09-04-2012, 15:33
I have a 1995 6.5 replaced the pump, runs great lots of power, but it has a CEL that drives me crazy! The code pulls up as #88 Timing off. I really dont want to mess with the timing, because it runs so great, and before you say it, I dont want to diable the light in case of future issues. Anybody got a clue on what I can do? It has a Standyne pump and a Heath Diesel Power boost controller.
THANKS!

DmaxMaverick
09-04-2012, 16:07
Welcome aboard!

You'll have to relearn the TDCO (and get lucky), and/or adjust the physical pump timing to get it into the range required by the ECM. If the TDCO is less than about -1.99 (higher negative number), you have to move the pump in any case. Ideal is -1.50 to -1.94. Or, disable the lamp. Otherwise, it won't go away.

Robyn
09-05-2012, 08:34
Put a scribe mark on the pump flange across the timing cover

This will give you a reference, then move the pump maybe 1/64 inch

Start and see if the code comes back. Try one direction a few moves, if this fails go back to the line and go the other way 1/64 at time.

Missy

Kennedy
09-05-2012, 12:26
With the TDC Offset error you WILL need to perform the learn process and get it to an acceptable range preferrably -1.94 or close

Robyn
09-06-2012, 08:07
What John says is the proper procedure, buuuuuuuut, the reason the SES light is coming on is that the computer can't get the timing where the original setting was.

When the pumps physical location is off far enough that the stepper motor can't adjust the timing to where the computer wants it, the code will set.

I realize that the way I said to do it is not the normal way, but once you get the pump into a place that the stepper can get the timing where it wants, the computer will shut up and stop complaining.

What you will end up with is that the timing will be set to whatever value was stored in the ECM.

It usually does not take a lot of movement of the pump to get back into the sweet spot.

Again, this is not the proper way, but it will work in a pinch.

Missy