PDA

View Full Version : Installed B&M's Tranny SuperCooler

DA BIG ONE
05-01-2005, 02:34
It took more time than I thought it would, no more grille, but at a glance no one notices the missing grille.

The B&M super cooler is big at twice the size of GM's unit, 3 times as thick, and it has a 9"+ fan which is kicked on by a 160 deg stat/switch built into unit.

I dremeled the header panel removing the grille section then the trim ring aroung the grille area had to be notched to clear the cooler. "Because I have a WARN classic bumper w/brush guards the average person can not tell the grill is missing." I plan a louvered grille mounted to back of WARN brush guard soon.

The valance below the grille area was drilled w/1 &1/4" hole saw for cooling lines to pass through.

The super cooler does not come w/brackets but the factory brackets can be used, but at opposite ends top GM now bottom w/slight bends at end to attach to bumper, but mine is a WARN classic so factory bumper may require more, or less bending, then bottom GM at top using the bolt hole to right, then drilling a new bracket mounting hole to left.

Remove 450mz horn "if you have one" bend tab on back so horn can be rotated slightly to the right in same place, using locktite tighten horn mount.

I cut the GM fittings off the cooling lines using premium 5/16" hose to connect system.

Wiring? Well use the best of everything, then seal in heat shrink sleeves and 20 amp fuse. I actually seal ends of heat shrink w/silicone sealer too!

Depending upon how much tranny fluid you spilled (like me), or removed, replace it w/fresh fluid.

tom.mcinerney
05-01-2005, 17:23
No Fotos??

99gmccrew
05-02-2005, 11:44
DBO , let us know how it performs while towing and in town driving. I've been thinking of adding one myself.

99gmccrew

DA BIG ONE
05-03-2005, 01:58
I will try to post pictures.

So far, at idle (excessive),driving around town, short sprints on I95, and stomping on it from a light the tranny temps stay under 160 deg "F". The only time the coolers fan kicks on is when I use the blow dryer to heat its thermo/switch. I have an LED that lights in the dash when it comes on.

Barry Nave
05-03-2005, 02:02
DBO
What temps were you seeing before?

jspringator
05-03-2005, 05:14
Cool idea with the hair drier. Mine is mounted underneath the car on the crossmembers and I have never been able to verify the fan works!