PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes

EdSpaek
08-25-2012, 19:54
Was noticing some squealing from the rear brakes of my Silverado upon light braking,I have 110,000 miles on my 2008 2500 HD. Found the caliper slide pins badly corroded on the left side preventing the caliper/bracket assembly from moving. Replaced the caliper with a rebuilt including the bracket and new pins, new ceramic pads and a new rotors on both sides. I am noticing I am running about 50 degrees hotter on the drivers side rotor than the passengers side using an optical thermometer after driving 30 miles or so

Any thoughts, nothing appears to be binding Reading 197 degrees on the right after driving with moderate braking and about 250 degrees on the left

Not sure what else to look for, only have 50 miles on the new brakes since installing

Possibly this is just normal due to differences in airflow and cooling across the two wheels ?

rapidoxidationman
08-26-2012, 07:45
How's the parking brake? Is the cable rusty or stuck causing a shoe to be rubbing inside the rotor?

EdSpaek
08-26-2012, 08:08
Parking brake is OK, no interference when removing or installing the rotors with the parking brake shoes. This morning I took the truck out on the highway at 70mph with medium braking the rotor temps seem to be lower today and closer to those of the right side

Possibly just need to allow the pads and rotors to burnish themselves in??

More Power
08-31-2012, 12:01
I am noticing I am running about 50 degrees hotter on the drivers side rotor than the passengers side using an optical thermometer after driving 30 miles or so

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't at least a 50 degree difference between rotors, side to side or front to back with new parts.

Assuming a correct assembly and as long as the caliper pistons are free to move, you should be ok. Once the pads/rotors are broken in, the temps will likely come more into line with one another and get inside the 50 degree difference.