PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant stalling problem

95heavychevy
08-07-2012, 15:30
I have a 95' k3500 with 106k on the truck. I replaced the engine a few months ago with a military 6.2, but for troubleshooting purposes lets just pretend it's a 6.5.

The truck normally runs great.. But some days if I shut it off and restart it it'll shut off after a second. Or sometimes just stall by itself. If I do get it to stay runnin it goes into limp mode and the SES light. I pull codes I get code 17&18

I unplug the optical sensor and the truck fires up and runs.. Sometimes it doesn't go into limp mode when i believe it should.. I unplug the crank sensor and plug the optical sensor back in.. Sometimes it starts and runs without going into limp mode.. (shouldn't it always go into limp mode if either sensor is unplugged).. Sometimes I start it with either sensor unplugged, and plug the other sensor in and it runs and after about 10 seconds you can hear the engine "refuel" and it runs great.. Other times it instantly stalls as soon as the other sensor is plugged in.. Sometimes when the truck is "defueled" there is no throttle response..

I've swapped the optical sensor and FSD/pmd with known working ones, new crank sensor, new OPS bypassed fuel system and ran out of a jug.. checked FSO and voltage when it "stalls" tried brand new ECM, stock tunedchip (I have 80hp ssdiesel chip) I added 0 gauge engine and body grounds..sometimes itll go weeks without a hiccup..

Bad optical sensor reluctor ring? Bad app sensor?

95heavychevy
08-07-2012, 15:35
I was thinking it could be ignition switch, but I'm not sure whether the switch is capable of turning off the engine(maybe through the pmd) without turning off the fuel shutoff solenoid.

Yukon6.2
08-07-2012, 19:54
Hi
My tow truck was having some wierd issues last year.
One time it wouldn't start even the jerry riged hot lead i had in one spot didn't get it to run.
Changed the ignition switch after i had about given up.
I was all ready to pull the pump and do my conversion to mechanical pump.
Hit the key and it fired right up,the wierd issues havn't returned.
Thomas

95heavychevy
10-25-2012, 07:18
Update: I gave up on the DS4 electronic pump. I swapped in my jcode mechanical pump and haven't had any issues since.

Yukon6.2
10-25-2012, 19:48
Hi 95
good choice swapping in the mechanical.
I have everything sitting on a shelf waiting for some time to do the swap,or the next time the computer stuff acts up.
Thomas