PDA

View Full Version : code 88

DickWells
02-03-2004, 12:08
Hi Guys: Cleared all my codes last week by the A-B jumper/full brake/full throttle/turn on switch method. Then, after I dis-connected and cleaned all the wire connecters and re-assembled them, I drove a few miles and got a code 88 ( TDC offset fault). This is the first time that this has ever happened with the old Sub. (95 with all the goodies except I still have the electronics).
The thing is apparently running without a hitch right now, so I'm not greatly concerned. Why should un-hooking the harnesses around the pump cause it to throw a new code?
Just before I left Vermont for Oregon in Sept. 03 I put in Phazer gears, so I had the offset checked and asked that it be set at -1.94 per the DSG instructions. The Chevy mechanic didn't change a thing when he found it to be -1.97. I had simply lined up the factory witness marks and tightened her down at home. He said that .03 degrees wasn't enough to even be worth trying to compensate for. Everyone agree?
Anyway, I've driven it over 15k miles since then with about four other un-related codes showing up every once in a while.
The strange thing now is that I can't kill that code by the method described above. I just get a continuous code 88 flashing.
Any comment/ideas.
Dick Wells

Barry Nave
02-03-2004, 12:26
DSG Gear on 94-95, as I have, should not be more then -1.75 There for you'll have that code. How it did not happen sooner?

DickWells
02-04-2004, 12:37
Hi Bnave: I think I'll try rotating the IP back towards the passenger side just a (tiny) bit tomorrow. It has rattled more ever since I put in the Phazer gears. They were, BTW the thing that made it feel like the most worthwhile addition that I have made to the 6.5. I have never felt that the Banks chip gave even a hint of more power. If I wasn't planning on putting in that modified mech. pump next summer, I'd probably spring for a JK chip, or something.
I'm hoping that this latest attempt at puting in my Profile is successful. I've had the Dickens of a time getting it to work. I wanted to correct my e-mail address at the same time, but as you probably know, you can't do that without having your Forum password changed. I don't want to go through all that. Jim B. has been very patient with this issue with me as it is. So, if I want someone to write to me on e-mail, I'll just type the correct address in for them to use.

Barry Nave
02-04-2004, 16:31
DW,
TDC offsetlearn is a tech II is a process that is a learn process in the ECM. By backing off the pump towards the passenger side will retard the timing,but then the TDC offsetlearn will have to be reprogramed. I would not advise doing this without a tech II hooked up while engine is running. :D
DW, I used the Banks system as my first upgrade. The DSG gear and cooling mods came later. There was a big improvement in performance with the Banks system. I would reset offsetlearn to -1.75 TDC offsetlearn. ;)
BTW JK has good chips, better then Banks.
I have mod my Elect. on boost and Etc that JK chips will do with out all the gizmo I have done over the last 4 yrs. :D

[ 02-04-2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Bnave95 ]

charliepeterson
02-04-2004, 20:03
Any timing past -1.94 TDC on OBD I can set a code for TDC Offset. OBD II can go to -2.20 but this seems too aggressive. The only way to reset this is with a Tech II. Make sure the three nuts holding the Injection Pump down are TIGHT!

With the Phazer Drive the timing should be rock solid with no deviation when doing the Relearn. I would bump the IP ever so slightly towards pass. side then reset timing. Shoot for -1.94.

DickWells
02-07-2004, 18:19
Hi Charlie/Bnave: This is the 4th time I've tried to post a note thanking you and bringing you up to date. Lost them all. Will post this one now, then get back on and do the up-date one short note at a time. I keep getting kicked off the E-net.
Dick

DickWells
02-07-2004, 19:24
Hi Gang: Well, I got that last note on by the skin of my teeth. Kicked off right after I hit the Go button. My wife got back on the phone with P-shift, and we MAY have solved our problem?
Here goes. Day before yesterday, I rolled my IP back a little under 1/16". BTW, the loose IP 2 years ago was the result of a dealer install of a new pump under warranty. (Bill Buck Chevrolet in Venice, FL) They are otherwise a great place for service. Took 2 years or so to show up loose, so who knows? Maybe I should have checked the bolts for tightness just as a matter of course. Anyway, I have put over 400 mi. on, towing since I moved the pump, and I'm really impressed so far. Much less rattle on start-up and the engine seems to sound more solid, both under the hood and at the tail pipe. Seems to pull stronger than it ever has. I know. I should have gone over to Brown Chevrolet in Del Rio and had the offset learn thing done, but I didn't and I haven't had a hitch with it while driving down to Brownsville and all over down here.
Haven't taken any codes yet, and I haven't tried to clear the codes in there.
While I was working on the pump, I had the chance to clean and exercise the one connector that I couldn't get at a week ago. (I removed the plenum to get my wrench on the passenger side bolt. I also removed the stripped bolt from the top of the frame below the starter and re-attached the two braided copper ground straps to the inside top of the frame with a 4" SS 5/16 bolt and put the terminals between two SS nuts. I wouldn't be surprise if that ground (or lack of it) could have been responsible for some of the skipping problems that I've had for a long time. I lost my ground up at the PS rear manifold nut one time, and it raised all kinds of hobb with my running.
Well, I'm all giddy with the way the old Sub. is treating me at the moment. I've vented enough on this subject for now. Thanks for bearing with me.
Best regards, Dick Wells.