PDA

View Full Version : newbee needs to know

Crashwesson
12-04-2003, 21:00
I got my 1st taste of diesel when I test drove a 02 dodge 1ton and I've been a convert ever since.
But, not having the kowin of alot of things on these critters, I have to ask what is normal.

As a for instance when I first bought the '94 I was getting a lot of poor response and black smoke. So I took the K3500SRW 4X4 down to the Power Shop on a recomendation from a dodge diesel owner and had them check it out. They found a malfunctioning waste gate value acuator. They also went through the whole drive train and told me that I got a pretty good machine. I was happy to find that out. Since then I added the K&N Filter, The Banks Stinger kit, some new leather buckets for this tired old behind (heated of course), some running boards and some cool bowtie siloets to my tail lights just for fun. Till then the critter was stock and it seems well maintained when I got it at 100K. I also put on a set of the Rancho 9000X shocks, much better on the toush now. But what this newbee needs needs to know is (how to say this) during acceleration the feel is smooth the thing that's funny (strange) is when I let off, I get this bumping feel or a large vibration hard to explain. Anyone out there know what I mean, sorta like one part of the engine is spinning faster than another? Perhaps its not the engine but the transmission?? There is also more clatter noise when I'm decelerating.

cruzer
12-06-2003, 11:05
Check your harmonic balancer and pulley. Look at Read post using the search function on the top of the page. There are several posts on this subject. That's where Id' start.

DmaxMaverick
12-08-2003, 05:11
Sounds like the torque converter unlocking on deceleration (normal). The vibration/clatter could be a bad engine/tranny mount. When the mounts get sloppy, they allow the engine to move enough to let other parts (downpipe, exhaust, oil/tranny cooler lines, etc.) come in contact with the frame or other parts.

With 100K on the clock, definately check out the balancer and crank pulley in any case.

Good luck

ucdavis
12-08-2003, 12:46
Sorter regardless (or maybe irregardless?) of the noise, if you have the OEM harmonic balancer, it is a good time to change it. If it goes out (and 100k is about as good a time as any) and you don't catch it right away, the downside is a broken crank.
Welcome to the club.

Crashwesson
12-10-2003, 08:00
I was thinking along the same lines as u guys. I was just hoping I was wrong. Sound like I better take it down to the Power Shop and have it checked out. Since I would more that likely have the have them replaced would you also say it would be a good time to put in that timming chain replacement with the timming gears? Yeh I know I have to pay $$$ for the labor but I just dont have the ability or the inclination too do it myself.

rjschoolcraft
12-10-2003, 08:12
The balancer and pulley are easy to change. I would not use that as an excuse to:

1) Remove the fan shroud
2) Remove radiator
3) Remove fan and clutch
4) Remove the water pump
5) Remove the timing cover (might have to lower front of oil pan to remove cover).
6) Remove old chain and gears.

Reverse the preceding steps.

As you can see, there is a lot more involved to get to the timing set.

ucdavis
12-10-2003, 12:30
Timing chain/gear is pretty reliable up to 175K or more, though it will increase in wear & therefore timing slop over the miles. By that time, you would be looking to replace the harmonic balancer again. If'n you are not looking for the performance gain of the gears (IIRC, some claim a small increase in fuel efficiency due to timing tolerance improvement) then gears could wait. In other words, for the savings of already having the balancer off, the gear decision probably turns on other factors.