PDA

View Full Version : AAM 11.5" pinion seal- 2 piece???

chessy56
07-13-2012, 23:09
I posted a thread earlier this year about a leaking pinion seal. I received a recommendation about installing a Speedie Sleeve, but I question whether I've got a 2 piece seal? My '01 HD2500 has the pinion seal which is pressed into the snout of the differential housing. I took the yoke off and there appears to be a sleeve with a rubber lip installed on the collar of the yoke. It is this "sleeve" that the seal rides on and it is indeed worn. Rather than install a Speedie Sleeve on the yoke, should I replace (what appears to be) the sleeve/seal that is pressed onto the yoke? Or, should I install a Speedie Sleeve over the existing yoke seal?

Kennedy
08-14-2012, 13:23
I just took one apart here and what it apopears to be is a speedi sleeve with a dust shield incorporated into it. The seal itself is one piece.

I do not see how the sleeve/yoke itself could leak.

While you have things apart check the Right Rear park brake drum for oiling. It seems that every one that I have seen leaks or has leaked at some point in time and the shoes will be covered. Best part is: No rust...

chessy56
10-09-2012, 15:40
Haven't seen the right-rear brake oiled yet, but I did replace the left-rear seal a few years back after finding the parking brake saturated! Haven't seen any other leaks since (knocking on wood).