PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 upper/lower intakes on a j code 6.2.

lilymonster
06-20-2012, 12:50
Would the upper/lower intake manifold from a 6.5 vin F type motor bolt directly up on top of a j code 6.2? It appears to me as though it should..... Am I missing anything? The reason I'm asking is because I have an extra one lying around and was thinking of doing this so I can do away with the big honkin air cleaner and do a custom cold air type using 3in piping and a cone filter

DmaxMaverick
06-20-2012, 12:59
As long as it isn't from a HMMWV or some chassis. It will fit in place, but the bolt angles are different.

lilymonster
06-22-2012, 06:37
Thanks Dmax. Is there any concensus on whether the VIN F 6.5 upper/lower with a K47 airbox flows better than the old school canister air cleaner on top of the standard j code intake?? is this worth doing to pick up a few horsepower from better flow? or would the only true benefit be the colder air as a result of pulling the air from the outside of the engine conpartment? Any opinions/thoughts on this?

DmaxMaverick
06-22-2012, 07:13
The 6.2's originally had a cold air intake. You didn't mention the year model, but you should see the intake inlet hole in the front clip, between the radiator and headlamp, on the passenger side. There's also a matching knock-out on the opposite side.

The original air cleaner is no better/worse than later model years. You can modify your original to accommodate 2 stacked filters (SAA - "Swanger-Avant Air" style, try a search) for more air, then route the inlet to the front clip. The major advantage to this is you don't need to take up more space under the hood. As far as horsepower goes, you might gain enough to offset an antenna ball (although you probably don't have one).