PDA

View Full Version : Pump rub fix questions

lmholmes11
06-07-2012, 09:02
I am planning on installing my Merchant Automotive pump rub fix (before a hole happens) and I have a few questions about removing the T/C.

So far from my research i have gathered the following steps

1. Drain tc

2. remove the rear driveshaft, front driveshaft (does this one come off the same as the rear? As far as unbolting the front then sliding it away from the tc?).

3. Put a floor jack under the tranny to help support it

4. Unbolt the tc from the tranny (how many bolts are there and where are they located?

5. Remove the tc from truck by pulling back away from tranny then sliding it towards the front at a downward angle to get off of the cross member

6. Use the nifty snap ring pliers i have to remove the PITA snap ring so the tc comes apart, install the rub fix and put the tc back in.

Am I missing anything? The kit came with the liquid gasket and pretty much everything i need to do the fix.

My biggest concern is how to un bolt it from the tranny because when i look up at it its hard to tell what bolt does what up in there.

Has anyone that has done this before have any other tips or tricks?
Does removing the cross member make it easier to get out?

Thanks guys

More Power
06-07-2012, 11:06
Step 1: Drain the ATF, and disconnect the electrical connectors and rubber vent hose on the transfer case.
Step 2: Remove the nut anchoring the transmission shift cable bracket to the transfer case.
Step 3: Remove the front and rear driveshaft. Mark the u-joints at the differentials before removal, to allow you to re-install them in the same orientation as before for better balance. Clip and remove the steel strap securing the rubber boot on the transfer case front output shaft. You’ll use a large nylon tie to secure the boot during re-assembly. A screwdriver was used to break the seal of the rubber boot. The front driveshaft will then slide out.
Step 4: Support the transmission using a transmission jack, then remove the transmission crossmember.
Step 5: Once on the bench, remove the vehicle speed sensor.

We've had a product review that discusses more about this on the web site since 2008.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/tcase.htm

Jim

lmholmes11
06-08-2012, 10:30
Thanks for the reply jim you answered all my questions. Thanks!