PDA

View Full Version : Tranny is acting wierd

lmholmes11
06-05-2012, 09:40
At around 50 MPH after it shifts, I can feel a "bump" . It doesn't slipped grind or anything and also doesn't set off any codes. Anyone know about this?

DmaxMaverick
06-05-2012, 09:57
Probably TCC lockup, which should happen at about 48-55 MPH, depending on load, pedal position and rate of acceleration. If it's become more profound now than it was before, or you notice it more often, it may be due for a tranny service. It could also be time for a fuel filter change. Or, you are just now noticing it.

lmholmes11
06-05-2012, 10:23
Thanks forI the reply. I bought the truck a few months ago with 60k miles on it. It has done it since I got it. Doesn't happen every time the tcc locks up though. I am about due for a oil change so ill be changing the ff and spin on filterI then.

DmaxMaverick
06-05-2012, 10:50
It's normal. The lockup event can vary from not noticeable at all to feeling like a gear shift. Depends on the conditions I listed earlier. If you've never done a full tranny service, it may be due. If the you and the PO have never, then it's very likely due. Much depends on the mileage, time, climate and type of duty the tranny has seen.

lmholmes11
06-05-2012, 10:54
Do you think I could just drain the pan and re fill then drive it for a bit then do again? Or would I need to do a full flush

DmaxMaverick
06-05-2012, 11:01
You could do that, and a lot of folks do, but you'll never get a complete exchange of fluid. Ever. I always recommend a full flush, using the fluid you will be using from that point forward. It's easy, and not much more effort than just a drain/fill. A helper is handy, but I've done them single handed in my driveway.

lmholmes11
06-05-2012, 17:03
Ok thanks, I will do a full flush then.