PDA

View Full Version : Potential issues with Edge / Juice module 2004.5 LLY

gary_lucas
05-25-2012, 08:17
I've just picked up a 2004.5 Duramax 2500hd.

I knew the right lower ball joint was on the way out, so I brought it into a local mechanic to have that fixed.

He recommended NOT stamping out the ball joint and replacing it, but suggested instead replacing the whole control arm. That makes sense to me.

However, I also asked him to look at the EGR solonoid, and his response was: "Your diesel is heavily modified, there's some sort of weird unit on the breaker box. When we put it on the computer all your injectors are reporting failure, but the engine seems to fun fine. We're not going to touch it, bring it to a dealership for anything involving the computer"

So, obviously they don't know their way around the Edge / Juice module. But now I'm worried about the injectors / computer. It was suggested that I bring it to a dealership and have the computer reflashed.

Does that make sense? I'm assuming if I do that I should remove the Edge module first?

Any ideas or input?

Thanks in advance :)

Gary

DmaxMaverick
05-25-2012, 13:18
ANYTIME you need to diagnose or work on the engine electrical/electronic, remove the edge. Your computer does not need reflashed/recalibrated, unless it's been damaged in some way. The Edge (with or without Juice) does nothing but read sensor parameters and "lie" to the computer to get the desired output. Once removed, so is the "lie". The engine/computer should return to normal, and diagnosis and scanning can continue. The EGR is probably fouled, due mostly to the Edge use. They foul on their own, but much faster with power modules.

gary_lucas
05-25-2012, 13:27
That's great information, I'm going to pick up the truck tonight, they couldn't get the control arm in today. I'll figure out how to remove the Edge unit this weekend and have it out for when I bring it back next week.

Should I just tell them to do the EGR as well? my understanding is that it isn't an expensive component?

Thanks again,
Gary

ANYTIME you need to diagnose or work on the engine electrical/electronic, remove the edge. Your computer does not need reflashed/recalibrated, unless it's been damaged in some way. The Edge (with or without Juice) does nothing but read sensor parameters and "lie" to the computer to get the desired output. Once removed, so is the "lie". The engine/computer should return to normal, and diagnosis and scanning can continue. The EGR is probably fouled, due mostly to the Edge use. They foul on their own, but much faster with power modules.

DmaxMaverick
05-25-2012, 14:07
Only the Edge module needs to be disconnected. The connector is a pass-through, located over the driver side valve cover. Once the connection is open, remove the Edge connector, and reconnect the OEM connectors together. Protect (bag/seal) and secure the Edge connector out of the way if you intend to use it later, or remove the harness completely if not.

The EGR components are relatively inexpensive. Labor is the problem, depending on the problem. If it just needs the valve cleaned and exercised (computer learn, if necessary), it should be less than an hour labor. If you have EGR codes now, you may not with the Edge removed. I suggest holding off the EGR work, for now, and run a while without the Edge. Unless you need it for a test, then don't wait. YMMV

gary_lucas
05-25-2012, 14:54
That's really helpful, I didn't realize it was an intercept type of connection.

I'll take the edge unit out of the equation and let them run it on the computer again next week. I'll try running the truck without the edge for awhile and see how it runs / if it impacts the mileage.

Thank you!

Gary

Only the Edge module needs to be disconnected. The connector is a pass-through, located over the driver side valve cover. Once the connection is open, remove the Edge connector, and reconnect the OEM connectors together. Protect (bag/seal) and secure the Edge connector out of the way if you intend to use it later, or remove the harness completely if not.

The EGR components are relatively inexpensive. Labor is the problem, depending on the problem. If it just needs the valve cleaned and exercised (computer learn, if necessary), it should be less than an hour labor. If you have EGR codes now, you may not with the Edge removed. I suggest holding off the EGR work, for now, and run a while without the Edge. Unless you need it for a test, then don't wait. YMMV

Kennedy
05-29-2012, 13:50
Not sure on LLY, but EGR valves/motors seem to run several hundred dollars from what I've heard. Much more cost effective AND permanent to take care of this in the ECM.