PDA

View Full Version : Another leak found. What are these lines?

lmholmes11
05-09-2012, 05:47
I was under the truck last night and noticed that two pretty large lines/fittings were wet and covered with what looks to be engine oil. They are up behind the front grill on the pass side behind the wheel well. The whole front right suspension is "spotted" with oil marks so it has to be leaking pretty good. What are these lines? Pictures are attached

More Power
05-09-2012, 10:11
The leaks appear to be originating from the ATF cooling lines. These sorts of leaks have been a problem for others, and most of these lines are not completely ooze free even when nearly new. They are a quick-disconnect type with a simple O-ring seal where they plug-in to the radiator and transmission. Like the engine oil cooling lines used on the 6.5, the rubber hose portion of the ATF colling lines are crimped onto the hard portion of the lines, which can relax over time, allowing some oozing.

New O-rings, and repositioning them to make them square to the fittings can help if the the leaks are not originating from the crimped portions.

If the leaks are at the crimps, new lines are the only answer if the leak is above your tolerance level. I haven't seen them yet, but I hear there are aftermarket lines available.

Jim

lmholmes11
05-09-2012, 10:19
After more research I have found that one line is the intercooler and the other is to the radiator. Neither of these will produce engine oil which is what looks like is all over the hoses. However I have heard of guys disconnecting the intercoolerto drain oil out. So its possible something is leaking down onto these lines? Are there any oil lines above these?

lmholmes11
05-09-2012, 10:23
Thanks for the reply Jim. I am going to check over the transmission cooler lines tonight also. I will report back. Will it hurt anything to power wash engine bay/under engine and watch for leaks after?

kaylabryn
05-09-2012, 14:02
Yes innercooler can have oil in it.

More Power
05-09-2012, 14:07
Crankcases gases are recycled in the newer systems. Just like the 6.5TD, oily vapors are part of the gas composition, and they can wind up in the intake manifold or intercooler. However, there is so much air passing through the intercooler, I doubt much would/could accumulate.

Back in the early days of the VW TDI, they incorporated an oil drain plug in the intercooler for these reasons. I suspect the packaging they used put the IC at a lower point than what we see in these trucks.

That said, even if oil did accumulate in the intercooler, it should not produce a leak in the area you're talking about. If it is, the hoses/clamps aren't doing their job. I'd consider that a bigger problem.

And finally, be sure to eliminate the ATF cooling lines/fittings as the leak source. They are the more likely cause of a buildup of oily residue in the area we're discussing.

Be sure to let us know what you ultimately discover. Thanks,

Jim

lmholmes11
05-11-2012, 07:42
Well I cleaned everything up and droveit to work and back home and no more leaks. The trans cooler lines are definitely not leaking as I checked them out. I gotta believe it was oil from the intercooler lines. I'm going to remove the lines this weekend and clean them out. Also a pcv re route is on my to do list as well. One question, how do you remove the "c" clamp style clamps off of those hoses?

lmholmes11
05-13-2012, 06:55
Can anyone point me in the right direction to take these hose clamps off to drain the oil out of the intercooler?