PDA

View Full Version : electric fan clutch

dixiepc
05-02-2012, 14:06
Has anyone yet made an electric clutch for the fan that will fit a water pump with the four bolt flange?

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2012, 14:59
Not that I'm aware of. HMMWV hydraulic clutch could be used. I have one with future plans.

Inspector
05-02-2012, 15:12
The GMC Envoy with the 4.2 from 02 to 09 has a electrically controlled fan clutch. You would have to see how it is controlled and if it is adaptable. It is programed through the ECM. I have had mine replaced in warranty because it wouldn't disengage. Has worked fine for the last 8 years.
Never know what will or will not work.
Denny

Robyn
05-02-2012, 18:17
I bought a Horton clutch that fit the T444E (power stroke) and then swapped the hubs from the IH water pump onto the Chevy pump and it was off to the rodeo.

I really don't think too much of it after all the work. The Kennedy lower temp clutch is far cheaper.

The Horton cost me over $600 plus the screwing around to make it all work.

Missy

dixiepc
05-02-2012, 19:25
Dmax,

Could you fill me in on the HMMWV hydraulic clutch? Don't know anything about it, sounds like it might work.

Inspector,

What kind of flange does the Envoy fan have?

Robyn,

I saw your fan on ebay, didn't it have the large screw on type hub?

Inspector
05-02-2012, 21:48
Its four bolt but may have different spacing.
Denny

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2012, 21:56
The HMMWV clutch installs in place of the viscous clutch, on 4-bolt, V-belt fans. It is similar in size/offset (visual, I haven't measured, yet). It has a tube fitting elbow (AN) at the front. You would need to supply a hydraulic (or pneumatic) pressure source, controlled by a valve. Hydraulic power can be had from either the PS pump or tranny (the demand is static). It can then be controlled thermostatically and/or manually, electrically (solenoid valve) and/or mechanically.

If you need, I can dig up mine and post a pic of it. It's attached to a water pump with pulley.

dixiepc
05-03-2012, 06:05
Dmax,

If it wouldn't be too much trouble to get a picture I would apperciate it.
I have a serpentine setup, do you think that it would work in reverse rotation?

DmaxMaverick
05-03-2012, 10:00
I hope it works in reverse rotation. That's where I'll be going with it. I'll find it and get a pic up sometime today.

DmaxMaverick
05-03-2012, 11:36
If you don't already have it, download the military service manual (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/media/Military%20manual.zip). Much of the contents don't apply to civi models, but a lot does. It also contains a lot of info on the fan/clutch, including some drawings and exploded views.