PDA

View Full Version : What turbo to choose

suburbanK-2500HD
04-17-2012, 08:18
Hi

I discovered that i might have to much play ib the turbin axle.
Could be because of a faulty airfilter, i have the square one. The lower part of the sealing was loose form the filter, and resulting in sucking in dust, and dirt.
When i gently move it sideways it touches the housing:confused:.
I know the original turbo dont have the best performance, and flow.
Peninsular have a T6500751 turbo. That is said to be very good for pulling, and doesnt have a wastegate ?.
But is this a wise choise i have to replace the turbo, does this critter spool up ok when not pulling.
Any comments sugestions are welcome.

Thanks

Børge

More Power
04-17-2012, 10:06
Turbo selection should be based on how you drive. If you're a long-haul driver who uses your vehicle to tow a lot, then the non-wastegated Pen turbo would be a good choice. If you have a landscape service, and your service truck almost never leaves the city, your GM-4/8 would be a better choice. If your Suburban is a people mover or grocery getter, the GM-4/8 would be a better choice.

If, on the other hand, your Suburban is used for grocery getting 50% of the time and is used to tow the family travel-trailer on longer trips 50% of the time, a wastegated Holset HX35/40 would be a better fit. It's a compromise, like any turbo selection would be. A 35 would be better for the routine end of performance and the 40 for the higher, especially if your engine is more than stock and you have an intercooler. The 35 would be the better choice for most people. Adjust the wastegate/boost for smoke-free performance - something around 15-psi for a stock engine, or close to 20 for an 18:1.

Jim

suburbanK-2500HD
04-17-2012, 14:31
Hi Jim

Thanks for input :)

Is there anyone selling the HX35 turbo that fits the 6.5 ?
I waas reading about the A-team turbo also, any input on this, anyone tried this.

Børge