PDA

View Full Version : grumble grumble grumble

Mark Rinker
03-31-2012, 09:24
No - not just me before coffee in the morning, the sound and vibrations that started buzzing up through my feet and the steering wheel last week!

Thought it was going to be a left front wheel bearing, but it turned out to be the frontmost U-joint.

It must have been failing over time, really sneaking up on me, because the drive home frome the dealership ($250 installed) was the quietest and smoothest this truck has felt forever...one gets used to a different and crummy ride in the winter with hard cold tires and a 700# plow hanging off the front of the truck.

Like a new ride!

More Power
04-03-2012, 13:00
Haven't had a u-joint fail in a Dmax truck, but through the years I've had to replace several in other vehicles. With them, the rear driveline's front-most joint seemed to fail soonest, and I noticed a vibration problem at speeds somewhere between 45 and 65. The vibration was a lot less noticeable above and below those speeds. Seems the joint would true itself at higher speeds to correct for an imbalance.

How many miles did you get out of the original joint? I assume lots of hard towing miles...

Jim

Heartbeat Hauler
04-03-2012, 18:03
Now Daddy ran the whiskey in a big block Dodge
Bought it at an auction at the Mason's Lodge

Johnson County Sheriff painted on the side
Just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside

Well him and my uncle tore that engine down
I still remember that grumblin' sound...:D

I don't think I have ever had a u-joint go south on me. Glad you got yours before it made a mess under the truck!