PDA

View Full Version : buzzing from my 6 speed MT

needbigtruck
03-13-2012, 12:55
There is a buzzing coming from right at the end of the transmission. You can barely hear it in the cab, but people on the road can hear it pretty well. That's how I discovered it, my Daughter was in her car next to me. I carefully blocked the front tires and jacked the back end up and put on blocks. Then started and put in 6th gear. Had to rev it up to 60 mph and you can definitely hear it. It was too scary to attempt to crawl under and really isolate the noise but it was coming from the back part of the transmission where the output shaft comes out. It is a high pitch noise and goes up and down in pitch as the speed is varied. I have shaken everything under there and checked the transmission fluid. I have crawled under after driving for an hour and there is no hot areas like a bearing wearing out, just a little warmer then ambient. I don't know if that is normal since I've never felt there before. I have not towed with it, and of course just driving around does not challenge these trucks. I have been monitoring this for about 5 months now and have not noticed an increase in the noise or any other indications things are going south. I probably would not even have known about it until my daughter pointed it out. It is just barely noticeable in the truck, but very noticeable outside the truck when I did my little test. I think I can only hear it now because I know it's there.

dieseldummy
03-24-2012, 19:12
Check the seal on the output shaft. I had one make a heck of a noise once. Was very hard to pinpoint, but after I changed the seal the noise went away. A temporary fix is to squirt some lube on it keeps the noise down for a little while.

needbigtruck
03-24-2012, 20:47
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. Is the seal hard to replace?