PDA

View Full Version : Big air filter

raunch
03-06-2012, 13:39
Modified my air filter housing like the 'Swanger air" in the books. For the snorkel, I just bought a 4" round to 4x8 rectangle HVAC fitting at the local big box store. It took some slicing, dicing, and riveting to fit it in hole I cut into the rebuilt housing, and it looked like a real butcher job. But POR-15 makes this water based 2-part epoxy that I made into little balls and smashed them onto my hack job, smoothed them out, painted it up and it doesn't look too bad.

There is a definite difference in power, especially on the low end of things. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. Too soon to tell if MPG's are better, as I have been driving in town most of the time. It is a bit more growly sounding too, in a louder way.

john8662
03-08-2012, 12:29
cool!

shoot us some pics.

turbonator
03-09-2012, 18:53
cool!

shoot us some pics.

i would like to see some pics too, as these motors are about air and fuel.... maybe you will be able to turn up the fuel some more now that you have more air...:D

raunch
03-14-2012, 12:36
With a little more time and effort this could have looked much better. POR-15 epoxy was OK to work with and I think that I could have used a wetter sponge for the feathering and got better results. And I see that it is starting to develop a small crack around the 4" round opening.

I don't think that I will turn up my fuel. I am hoping for max fuel economy, and the extra power that I see with this set up is just a bonus. But still too soon to tell if I will see much improvement in MPG's.

Having trouble with photo. Will try later.

raunch
03-14-2012, 13:34
Photo Re-try

john8662
03-15-2012, 14:22
My, that's a big one.

Looks good man, I should totally do one of these on my lil 82 SWB 6.2 NA Truck.