PDA

View Full Version : SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM message

Mark Rinker
02-29-2012, 12:51
My truck threw this message today while plowing heavy, wet snow today. Lots of wheel slippage as freezing rain preceeded the snow layer.

What causes this message? High transfer case temps, perhaps? If so, not surprised at all...today was a 12hr thrash and I am surprised the plow didn't break under all the stress.

ToddMeister
03-01-2012, 08:29
Probably have to pull codes to see what the fault is.

Mark Rinker
03-01-2012, 20:26
Took it to the GM shop today. Something internal is broken. Transfer case is coming out, under warranty at 98K miles. Front axle seal also leaking...warranty. Last freebies. Hope that everything else hangs together for awhile as not much snowplowing revenue this year.

Mark Rinker
03-03-2012, 08:27
Front axle seal replaced, as well as front case halves resealed. This required front axle to be removed.

Transfer case did NOT come out as previously reported, code at ATC module was C0396...indicating IPS failed...ATC actuator assembly replaced...tested okay...code cleared in ATC module.

FJ40INTOW
03-03-2012, 11:34
My truck threw this message today while plowing heavy, wet snow today. Lots of wheel slippage as freezing rain preceeded the snow layer.

What causes this message? High transfer case temps, perhaps? If so, not surprised at all...today was a 12hr thrash and I am surprised the plow didn't break under all the stress.

My truck has displayed this message on my 03 GMC maybe 5 times since I bought the truck new. Usually it was after a heavy rain or snow. It always cleared by itself the next day.

The first time it appeared it happened twice in a week. I reflowed all the solder joints on the push button switch and it did happen again for 3 or 4 years. This may have been a coincident but it did remove one of the possibilities.

It never did it while under warranty and was always cleared by the next day so it has never went into the shop. I suspect that it was moisture related.

Im glad you were able to get all your stuff fixed before the warranty expired.