PDA

View Full Version : Good Instructions for GM4 Rebuild?

kenz5380
02-29-2012, 06:44
I just recently picked up a used GM4 and have been unable to locate some good instructions on doing a rebuild. Does anyone know where I can locate some? An online tutorial would be great, but I would be happy with just about anything.

Thank you very much for your help, this site has been extremely helpful in my quest for turbo power on my 6.2

kenz5380
02-29-2012, 07:04
Can anyone also recommend the best rebuild kit to buy?

john8662
03-01-2012, 15:03
Look up BAE, they sell a high-quality kit for turbos. This is the bearings the seals for the turbo. Anything more than that and you're best off finding another turbo, if it needs a turbine or compressor wheel, as these parts aren't cheap.

Getting the center section of the turbo out of the turbine housing is a real chore. My method might seem crude, but here goes.

You can get two of the bolts out, using your 1/2" box end wrench and a hammer, put the wrench on, hammer on the wrench to break the bolt loose.

The other 3 are real buggers.

I take an oxy acetelyne torch and cut the heads of the bolts off. Once you get them all cut, then you can get the center section off the turbine housing. Tapping with a hammer around the turbine housing will coax it off.

Next, you gotta renew your turbine housing. You'll need a wire welder. Weld 7/16" nuts to the studs left over after cutting the heads off. You should be able to easily get the studs left over out. They're not really tight, just completly inaccessable with an open end wrench (all you'll do is round the heads off, try it you'll see).

Everything after that is just turbo rebuilding of the center section.

No, I doubt there are instructions out there for this specific turbo. You might look at some others for a reference though. Remember to keep the clocking of the wheels the same, they're balanced as an assembly.

J