PDA

View Full Version : glow plugs smoking,.

phantom309
02-25-2012, 19:34
the old 4 by has been sitting, needs a trans and i haven't been motivated to find one or install it, the old girl is getting rusty,.
Put the trickle charger on it for a day or so, to make sure it had full batteries,.
hood was up,turned to glow,. and a pile of smoke came wafting up from the engine, EEYYIIKES!!,:eek:. so i turned the key off, and went to investigate,. but by the time i got there the wee bit of breeze had blown all the evidence away,.
so asked the wife to be the key woman,.and when the glows were energised the two middle ones were smoking and i could see embers on one,.stinking just like a dead short in wiring,.
The valve covers are not leaking,. and i thought, just the tips were supposed to get hot,.
I tried unplugging the wires but they are corroded on there like they are soldered,.
?????

nick

master53yoda
02-25-2012, 23:39
Electrical heat is generated by resistance and amperage, in this case the bad wiring connection to the glow plug acting as a heater due to the amperage drawn by the glow plug. Pull the connections apart and clean them up and the problem will probably go away.

Good luck

phantom309
02-26-2012, 20:24
The body of the glow plug is getting hot right where the wire is encased in the glow plug,. not at the ceramic push on connector, i,m guessing they,ve shorted themselves out to ground some how,.
when i get a trans for it i'll mess around with the plugs,.
Strange with this trans tho,. if i baby it up into 4th gear,. and it locks up and trucks along just fine,.aaargh.

nick