PDA

View Full Version : injector pump codes

kevin77
09-20-2005, 05:48
I was cruising down the highway at 75mph, the cruise control popped out, the service engine soon light came on and I got the following three codes:

DTC 18 - Pump Cam Reference Pulse Error
DTC 35 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Response Time Short)
DTC 56 - Injection Pump Calibration Resistor Error

Can electrical gremlins cause these codes or might it be time for a new injector pump?

Maybe I can sneak in a new exhaust, injectors, new glow plugs, gear drive cam shaft, etc. before the wife catches me...

Kevin

Kennedy
09-20-2005, 06:45
Might be gremlins as anything is possible if you have wiring issues, but likely the pump when optic sensor (17 and 18) codes hit. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. be it for troubleshooting or for parts.

kevin77
09-22-2005, 04:11
I have driven the truck for a few days now any it is operating fine again. Can dirty fuel affect the optic sensor? I had filled up my tank 10 minutes before the check engine light came on. I took off, got on the expressway and had her running about 70-75 mph.

Kevin

JohnC
09-22-2005, 05:14
My WAG is you have an intermittent wiring problem with the pump, like a loose or corroded connector.

kevin77
09-26-2005, 17:19
I am finally taking some time to work on the pump codes and find out whats wrong.

First thing I did was to open the water bleed valve and see if there was fuel coming out - there was - although not as much as I expected.

Second - pull the fuel filter - it was quite black - so I cleaned out the bowl, dropped a new fuel filter in, bleeded the filter and took it on the road.

Codes again - I'll check in the morning to see if they are the same ones.

Tomorrow, I'll switch out the fsd and see if that might be the problem Then I'll try checking the wires.

Kevin

JohnC
09-27-2005, 05:54
The only way (I know of) to get the callibration resistor code is if the PCM can't see the resistor. If the resistor is there, then it's a good bet that the wiring is intermittent.

kevin77
09-27-2005, 17:13
Tonight I switch the fsd out with the original resistor that it came with - I'll clear the codes in the morning and see if the other fsd (with resister) at least clears the resistor code.

Kevin