PDA

View Full Version : IFS Wheel Stud Replacement?

DA BIG ONE
09-19-2005, 11:53
I need to replace 3 wheel studs on my front hub 4wd, some $%%^&* stripped em, so how do I change em out?

They should be 9/16", or metric?, its a 2500.

[ 09-19-2005, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: DA BIG ONE ]

JTodd
09-20-2005, 02:16
Changing the studs in fairly easy with the hub and rotor still on the truck. Take the brake caliper off and you will be able to feel the backside of the studs. Using a big hammer, tap them out the back. Turn the rotor to the next and go again. When I did it I used an 8 pound sledge and was able to hit them lightly (for an 8 pound hammer) and the popped out pretty easily.

To put the new ones in, I used the two-washer method. Basically, get two fender washers that will fit over the stud, and put grease between them and between the washer and the hub. Then just draw them through with your wrench. Torque them down with the wheel on. Check the torque after a few miles of driving and you should be good to go.

I got the studs at an AutoZone, so they should be easy to find. For some reason they had the studs but not the lugs

David_Jennings
09-20-2005, 12:51
Do a search on this one. There is a split of authority on whether the studs should be pressed in or pulled in using the washer method. I could not get mine in all the way with washers, so I had no choice but to have them pressed in. I read where someone ruined a new hub by not properly seating the studs. Just a thought.

DA BIG ONE
09-21-2005, 01:01
Originally posted by David Jennings:
Do a search on this one. There is a split of authority on whether the studs should be pressed in or pulled in using the washer method. I could not get mine in all the way with washers, so I had no choice but to have them pressed in. I read where someone ruined a new hub by not properly seating the studs. Just a thought. Caution, is my rule of thumb too!