PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Instrument Cluster

befland
01-20-2012, 08:12
Sorry if I put this in the wrong place but I'm new to the D-max forum (I live on the 6.2/6.5 side).

My brother has a 2003 Dmax and the gauge cluster has quit working. He wanted to see if he could find one in a junkyard but doesn't know which year models will fit. Also, I'm not sure if the clusters are programmed for specific trucks or year models. Anyone know the details on the gauge clusters?

ToddMeister
01-20-2012, 08:37
If it is just one gauge that quit working, the gauge stepper motors can be replaced quite easily.

I just fixed the speedo in my brothers 05 dmax last weekend. Ordered the steppers off ebay, there are several sources for them. Videos and articles are abound on the web on how to do this repair. Only took an hour or so to fix the cluster.

Gauge cluster motors cost about 5 bucks each, less in quantity.

Some folks have set up small businesses to repair these clusters, you might find a local that does this service. They may also offer exchange units, too.

There were three ads listed in our local auto-rv trader magazine last time I looked.

befland
01-20-2012, 12:23
Not really sure but by his description I believe the whole cluster went out. I had seen places on the web that offer rebuilding services but he wants to replace it with a salvage cluster. So again, I'm back to my original question(s).

DmaxMaverick
01-20-2012, 12:27
It's ALWAYS better to repair late model IPC's, vs. replacement. It's usually a LOT cheaper, even if you get one from a wrecking yard. If you repair, it goes back in, just like it came out. If it's replaced, it'll have to be programmed (or reprogrammed) at the dealer, which is usually no less than one hour at their shop rate, sometimes more.

If he insists on sourcing a recycled IPC, one from a 2003 or early 2004 will work.

MikeyB
01-20-2012, 21:27
I used this: speedometerrepairguy.com